Adopt Photoshop Elements < or > Paint Shop Pro?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21½" 3.6GHz Core i5 iMac, 12GB Crucial RAM
So we're coming from a PC background....Mac Noob. Obviously my old copy of Paint Shop Pro 7 will not run on the Mac, and I'm not entirely sure I want to try running it in Parallels.

I do a lot of graphic editing, "photoshopping" work if you will. I take images, strip the background, shade it, invert colors, mix-n-match, andflip the opacity, and generally play images as if they were 6-string banjos. Paint Shop Pro 7 (more or less) met my needs. I tried GIMP and its pretty rough.

Simply put, will Photoshop Elements do all I need? I need to occasionally freehand cut images, put them on different layers, often transparent, and save them as PNGs. I'd just like to be certain before I pony up $100 for it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
So we're coming from a PC background....Mac Noob. Obviously my old copy of Paint Shop Pro 7 will not run on the Mac, and I'm not entirely sure I want to try running it in Parallels.

I do a lot of graphic editing, "photoshopping" work if you will. I take images, strip the background, shade it, invert colors, mix-n-match, andflip the opacity, and generally play images as if they were 6-string banjos. Paint Shop Pro 7 (more or less) met my needs. I tried GIMP and its pretty rough.

Simply put, will Photoshop Elements do all I need? I need to occasionally freehand cut images, put them on different layers, often transparent, and save them as PNGs. I'd just like to be certain before I pony up $100 for it.

For a cheaper alternative, look into Pixelmator. It's not as full featured as Photoshop, but it may suit your needs. It's Mac-native and very popular. And has a free trial.
Pixelmator

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
OP
Phacade
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21½" 3.6GHz Core i5 iMac, 12GB Crucial RAM
Well I think I got the answer I wanted. Went to the Mac store tonight and the rep highly recommended Pixelmater, so I think I'll try that out. Thanks all!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.