iMac + external audio speakers = too QUIET?!?!

C

chrizow

hey all. first-time poster. a search of the site didn't turn up an answer for me, but forgive me if this is a duplicative thread...

i just got a iMac (20", 2.16Ghz, intel duo, etc) and plugged it into my stereo system via audio cables running from the iMac's headphone jack into the stereo.

however, when i tried to listen to music, i found that i had to turn the volume on the iMac all the way up and turn the volume on the stereo to level 24 (normal volume on my stereo is 10-12) to achieve even a reasonable volume!

by contrast, my previous computer was an old Dell Inspiron laptop (don't laugh!). i would keep the same stereo at a modest volume of 10-12 and would have to keep the volume on the Dell at around 10-25% to avoid blowing out my neighbors!

what's the deal here? why is the iMac so quiet?

what can i do about this, if anything? does the Boostaroo headphone amp work for this problem at all?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 17'' 1.83 ghz 512 mb ram
that happened to me a while ago all i remember doing was going into the sound propertys or somthing? sorry i dont remember but then it was fixed

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
check in system prefs and check the volume settings.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
1) Goto System Preferences > Sound > Output and set it is max (You can also adjust it on the keyboard)
2) Goto iTunes and increase the volume.

That should be it.

OP
C

chrizow

thanks everyone! i think i got it fixed! sorry for asking such an elementary question...i'm definitely in the inaugural stages of the "getting used to a mac" period. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.