Windows Printer Sharing Trouble

Reaction score
I've been trying to print from a shared printer that is connected to a windows computer on my network; the same network as my mac.

The problem is I cannot get it to work through just windows printing. I have to go to the extra options, and print via Samba, using the computer's ip address. Now the problem is, the computer I'm sharing the printer from does not have a static ip (I don't think my ISP allows it) so every so often my printer will not work (the IP changes) so I have to go in and re-ad the printer again in the mac's system preferences. It's kind of irritating.

Now here's my problem. When I try to add the printer, instead under Windows Printing (the one you can get without holding down option), the workgroup "workgroup" comes up. I click on that, and I get another screen, showing my ibook's network sharing name, and something called Family, which is what I suspect is the workgroup or whatever of the windows machine (my father set it up, and I don't know what the whole thing is). The one thing I do know is that the computer is named "Our Family Computer" (don't ask). So I click on "Family", and it asks for a name and password. I've tried leaving both blank, I've tried users on the Windows machine (both with passwords and without), the network password for the router, and all I ever get is

"Unable to connect to server with the provided password and username
Error: 256

Does anyone have a solution to this problem? If you can't tell what I'm talking about, I can post some screens of the printer setup menus if it would help.

Thanks in advance, I'm really clueless about this one.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.