Need advice before I start :)

Reaction score
Hi guys,
Just wondering if someone can give me some advice and point me in the right direction. What it is I want to install Windows 7 on my Mac Pro G5. I'm complete n00b when it comes to computers lol. Is this a easy job? Why I want to install Windows 7 on my Mac Pro is because I want to record my game (MW3) footage from my PS3. I have a laptop running Windows XP but the laptop old and slow and keeps crashing. I been trying all day to get Dazzle Pinnacle to work but no luck only works with Windows. I did find out I could run it with Videoglide on my Mac but free demo wouldn't work. I'm gonna take the Dazzle capture card back and get Hauppauge HD PVR Gaming Edition so I can record in HD. But that card only works with Windows. That's why need put Windows 7 on my Mac.

Just need to know few more things
1) Will my Mac have enough memory to run Windows 7?
2)Will my Mac have enough memory memory to run Hauppauge HD PVR card?
3)What Windows 7 package do I need?

My Mac Pro G5 Spec this is what I got
http://penta.com.au/nettops-by-bran...x-3x1gb-640gb-gt120-superdrive-mac-os-p-28688

The specs of Hauppauge HD PVR card
System Requirements
PC with 3.0 GHz single core or 2.0 GHz multi-core processor
Microsoft® Windows® 7 (32 or 64-bit), Windows Vista or Windows XP Service Pack 3
512 MB RAM (1 GB recommended)
Graphics card with 256MB memory
Sound card
220 MB free hard disk space
CD-ROM drive (for Software installation)

Will this Windows 7 package be ok?
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/microsoft-windows-7-home-premium-03612469-pdt.html

Sorry for the long post guys I've give the best info I can. I want to get it right before I go out and spend money. My other half already rolling her eyes at me "You spending money on that" lol. Thanks for any help :) I'm complete n00b when it comes to tech stuff. Cheers guys :) :) ;)

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
If you do have a G5 then you can't run windows. BTW MacPros are Intel Macs. I tried to check your specs to be sure but your link didn't work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Actually Razormac, you can run Windows on a G5. It's just horrible painful to do so. I used Virtual PC as a kid to run the occasional extremely resource-lite software on G4 and G5 Macs.

But I would not recommend this. It was very slow.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actually Razormac, you can run Windows on a G5. It's just horrible painful to do so. I used Virtual PC as a kid to run the occasional extremely resource-lite software on G4 and G5 Macs.

But I would not recommend this. It was very slow.

You are correct. :)

I assumed the OP was trying to run Windows natively, and didnt even think about the virtual route.

That is not a G5 machine and you should have no problem running Windows on it, either via Boot Camp or using VMWare or Parallels.

EDIT: I have no idea about compatibility with the capture card

OP
J
Reaction score
I take it installing windows on this be to hard? :( I have very little know how when it comes to computers. Thanks for the quick replys nice one :)

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I take it installing windows on this be to hard? :( I have very little know how when it comes to computers. Thanks for the quick replys nice one :)

Installing Windows should be relatively simple, which ever route you decide to go. I really don't do Windows on my Macs so I will leave it to others to advise.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

You would probably be doing yourself a BIG favor...by reading these two stickies (which are conveniently located at the top of this sub-forum):;)

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ru...otcamp-save-yourself-possibly-hours-time.html
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ru...4239-running-windows-mac-switchers-guide.html

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.