Opening html

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
eMac OS X 10.4.11 1.25GB RAM 40GB original hard drive,
:D Hello, I'm new to the forum, to macs, and to writing HTML.

I've been having a bit of a problem opening html files. When I save a web page I'm working on as firstpage.html and try to open it to work on it some more again in text-edit, I get a blank screen or just the background color of the web page.
The only way I've been able to get around this is to save the web page as both firstpage.html and firstpage.txt which seems like more work than it should be.
Does anyone have any suggestions?

Reaction score
Text Edit was never very nice to me as far as editing HTML. I recommend using Bean or better yet a code editor like Smultron.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
textwrangler is for 4.0 or later I'm afraid.

Ah, It appears bean and Smultron are for later models as well...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
How about the built-in good old vim. ;)

vim.png

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So are you guys saying there is no other around having to save the web-page as both a .txt file and a .html file unless I use something other than just plain 'ol textedit?

Reaction score
No, we're saying that as an HTML editor, TextEdit falls far, far short. I didn't realize you were still on 10.3 though, sorry.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.