OS X stuck on grey screen and circle

Reaction score
When I try to load back into OS X from windows the computer chimes, the grey screen appears, then the apple logo, then the rotating circle underneath the aplpe logo. It sits at the rotating circle stage for a few minutes then restarts again. If I leave it it will just keep sitting at the circle and rebooting.

The steps I have taken to try and fix this are:
1. Clear PRAM by holding CMD+OPT+P+R
2. Resetting the SMC by removing all peripherals, battery and AC adapter then holding the power button for five seconds.
3. Booting into safe mode to delete bootcache.kext - I can't boot into safe mode, when I hold shift after I hear the chime nothing happens differently, it just takes longer for the rotating circle to appear.

I recently installed MacDrive in Windows and deleted files in my OS X partition, these files were not system files, just a game I had downloaded.

Also, I can't boot from the OS X CD because I'm at school and like a dummy I forgot to bring it.

Any ideas?
darkbasic is online now Report Post Edit/Delete Message

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Without your original install Leopard DVD you can't do much trouble shooting. I suggest you send for it as soon as you can or buy another. From your description, it could be file corruption, missing files, or even bad sectors on the hard drive. If the machine will boot to Windows OK and run Windows normally, then at least you know the machine is OK. (maybe with the exception of the HDD)

Also, I don't understand why you had to use MacDrive from Windows to remove a game from your OS X partition? Why not remove it when running OS X?

Regards.

Reaction score
I have this problem too but on a mac mini. I deleted the installer plist file because I was having trouble with installing the Leopard update (it said I didn't have privileges) and after that I got this problem....

HELP!!!! I have no discs because I bought the machine only for cheap.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.