Time Machine help needed, pretty please!

Reaction score
Hey..

Newbie here... Ive got myself into abit of a pickle and need some help...

I was having alot of 'fun' with Bootcamp, and ended performing a Time Machine backup (which backs up onto my External HD), then completing a reformat and new Snow Leopard install onto my Macbook!

I then discovered when trying to bring everything back with Time Machine, that my Ex HD had become corrupted, so I used Data Recovery 3 to recover everything from Ex HD to the Macbook.

I then reformatted the Ex HD back to Mac OS X journaled. I moved everything back to the Ex HD successfully.

... My problem is when trying to initiate Time Machine, it wont recognise that theres a back up on my External Hard drive! (when I go into finder and select my Ex HD, I can see the back up in there... just cant start it)!

Help :-(

Laura O:)

Macbook 10.6
Ex HD - Formac 250

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, Power Mac G4, iMac G3, iPhone 3GS
I would assume that there's some kind of hidden file missing. Time Machine probably puts a file on the drive that marks it for use as backup. When you reformatted the disk, that file was lost.

This is a presumption and a complete off-the-top-of-my-head guess.

OP
F
Reaction score
That would make sense... so no chance of rescuing Time Machine back ups then as the ExHd has been reformatted :-(

Bum!

thanks tho

L

M

MacInWin

Try right-click (Control-click) on Time Machine, then "Browse other Time Machine Disks..." and see if the existing backup appears.

OP
F
Reaction score
Yeah I did, and it doesnt :-(

This is all a pain as I had iLife 09 installed when I bought the Mac, with no installations disks. This now of course has gone too :-(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.