Stubborn folder will not trash & Network quirk!

L

Lucky Dog

Hi, i have 2 difficulties which are driving me nuts and would appreciate any help i can get. a) I have a folder in the trash which will not get dumped, even if i change the priviliges on it. It is saying it cannot find the file, when i try to dump it and the trash still shows there is a folder in it which is empty...b)Cannot transfer files both ways between my networked computers. I can access computer A with computer B and copy a file off of A, but cannot copy a file from B to A. It keeps saying i do not have enough priviliges....have tried changing priviliges on both machines to no effect. They are networked via ethernet and both have the latest update installed.......please help!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Are they both Macs?

Remember to connect with credentials of the admin user of the machine you're connecting to. Verify Read and Write permissions not just user/owner.

Reaction score
Lucky Dog said:
Hi, i have 2 difficulties which are driving me nuts and would appreciate any help i can get. a) I have a folder in the trash which will not get dumped, even if i change the priviliges on it. It is saying it cannot find the file, when i try to dump it and the trash still shows there is a folder in it which is empty...

(A) Try restarting your mac to see if the trash empties....or try dragging the folder from the trash and then opening it up and drag the contents to the trash one by one (depending how many files if any) and emptying it.

(B) I also had this problem but it rectified itself...have you repaired permissions? How about just going to computer B and drop the file on A's desktop that way?

A handy tip I just learned from a knowledgeable person here is if you drag the network icon from your desktop to your LogIn items in System Prefs>Accounts>Your account, so that whenever you start your mac you will automatically be connected to your network providing all computers are on.

OP
L

Lucky Dog

Thanks Pulse 8 & Macswork, for your suggestions....yes, all the computers are Macs (of course;-). I tried all suggestions, but still have the problem with the trash not emptying that particular folder. Basically, it is saying that the file in the folder does not exist, but still will not get rid of it. As for the network quirk, it is mostly a convenience issue. I would like to be able to both copy and paste from one machine to the other, like i was able to do previously.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
to delete your trash make sure that finder is your active app so to speak and then hit: command+option+shift+delete shoudl remove your entire trash's contents without asking

OP
L

Lucky Dog

The delete trash command works beautifully, but still does not touch the folder. When i try re-naming the folder, no problem there, but still cannot re-name or delete its contents. When i try to apply a permissions change to the item in the folder, it says that the item cannot be found....strange! A search turns up nothing on the hard drive......

Reaction score
Open terminal and type... sudo rm -R ~.Trash/*

sudo = "Super User DO"
rm = Delete
-R = recursive which removes directories
~ = home folder
. = hidden folder
and the rest you can figure out.

Reaction score
Lucky Dog said:
Thanks Olias, that seems to have done the trick...

Big 'em up for olias! Glad you got it all sorted Lucky Dog....I wish I knew more about Unix commands....

Reaction score
Pulse-8 said:
Big 'em up for olias! Glad you got it all sorted Lucky Dog....I wish I knew more about Unix commands....
If you want to learn more about a command you can read the manual. Just type... man rm

You can read all about how the command works then press Q to exit the manual.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.