deleted a .log file and now I get a blinking ? on startup. PLEASE HELP

C

caseymcbride

I was cleaning out unused files and found that there was a 8GB file in my Library>Logs>CrashReport folder called veohd.crash.log,(Veohd is a video program which I have never had on my system, so that is confusing)

and figured that this was a file that included random crash logs, so i put it to the trash, and everything was fine, so to gain the Hd space i needed i emptied the trash. when i later restared i got a screen with a folder blinking a "?" and would not boot up.

I guess this is an error when there is no OS to boot up.

Can someone explain to me what I did ( i know i'm an idiot, so don't rub that in..haha) and how to possibly fix this.

I haven't tried reinstalling OSX, becuase i don't know if that will erase all that i have on my hd now.

Thank you for any help.

OP
J

JunMacTech

Methinks it is time for an Archive and Install - installation of OS X. If you do not know what that is, run a search for it. You'll find what you need to know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Before you resort to reinstalling anything, boot from your install media.
Then run a disk repair from Disk Utility.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.