MacBook Pro Mid 2012 Retina - 'Whiring' noise

Reaction score
Evening all,

My Macbook Pro retina has started making a constant 'whirring' noise whenever it's used, it begins as soon as the lid is opened. I'm assuming it's a fan, I've noted it come on in the past when it's been used for a long time or come out of hibernation, however now it is all the time.

Given I use the device mostly for work related tasks in a quiet environment its very annoying. I bought a care pack with the device, if I take it to an apple shop will they fix the problem i.e. does an issue of this kind constitute them invoking the carepack?

Also, ever since I bought the MBP it's always had 2 (for want of a better phrase) blown out pixels, it's not always noticeable, but when it is it's annoying. Is something like that covered by the carepack?

thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Assume you mean the optional three year AppleCare?

If so pop it in to where you purchased or an Apple Reseller/Genius Bar.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks for the swift reply.

Yep the optional 3 years one.

I read somewhere that they can't repair the retina macbooks and have to replace them if there is a hardware fault? Sounds nonsense to me?!?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Yep the optional 3 years one.

I read somewhere that they can't repair the retina macbooks and have to replace them if there is a hardware fault? Sounds nonsense to me?!?

If you have the 3 year extended Applecare...then just take it to Apple. Regardless of how they have to repair it...it will be repaired/replaced.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.