What file system is Mac OS X using?

A

AlexN

I haven't got my Mac yet, so I can't check it out myself. Could anyone tell me what file system is Mac OS X using? On Linux, it's Ext3. I'm wondering if it is the same.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
Mac OS has it's own filesystem called HFS (Hierarchical File System), the one used in OS X and since System 7 (I think, maybe it started with OS 8) is HFS+.

MacOS X is not Linux, you will find that out once you'll get yours. It is UNIX-based, just like Linux is, but except that, there are huge differences.
You will see that a couple of Linux commands will work, you will not be totally lost in the Terminal, but you will also find out that it is not the best way to use OS X through the Terminal, and it is not meant to.

MacOS is all about GUI, since System 1. And eventhough OS X is UNIX-based, Aqua (the OS X GUI) is part of the system, totally integrated, unlike Gnome or KDE on Linux.
And that's the way it has been developped, to be used with a mouse through the GUI. :cool:

OP
A

AlexN

:cool:
Avalon said:
MacOS X is not Linux, you will find that out once you'll get yours.

But both of them are based on Unix. I'm still not sure how different are they, I'll have to see it myself. :cool:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
AlexN said:
:cool:

But both of them are based on Unix. I'm still not sure how different are they, I'll have to see it myself. :cool:

And therefore they have similarities...but yet they are "same, but different". :cool:

Just be a bit patient (until you get your Mac), and you will see it yourself.
Or go to the closest Apple shop and play around with one there, if you can't stand the waiting.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.