Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Wow they just fly through those updates. >_>"

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wow they just fly through those updates. >_>"

Well you know how the update "carrot" works...they include a feature or two that you just can't live without...thus encouraging you to update.

Could that "new" 1 or 2 features be included in the previous update...maybe...but then they wouldn't get the extra $49 bucks out of users with the new update!;)

In this case maybe the version 5 update is worth it if it truly has features that improve reliability with Windows 7.

BUT...if the next Parallels Update (version 6) contains more Windows 7 improvements...then I could see users being upset...since those improvements could have possibly been included in version 5!

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15 inch 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4 Gigs of ram
Well you know how the update "carrot" works...they include a feature or two that you just can't live without...thus encouraging you to update.

Could that "new" 1 or 2 features be included in the previous update...maybe...but then they wouldn't get the extra $49 bucks out of users with the new update!;)

In this case maybe the version 5 update is worth it if it truly has features that improve reliability with Windows 7.

BUT...if the next Parallels Update (version 6) contains more Windows 7 improvements...then I could see users being upset...since those improvements could have possibly been included in version 5!

- Nick

Conspiracy to make money???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1

You are saying that you think that Parallels can fix Windows? That would truly be an accomplishment! LOL ;D

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
What if those improvements have yet to be discovered/developed? It's possible that things will pop up as well as Windows 7 gets more usage in Parallels. ;)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
In my opinion, Parallels has become basically irrelevant these days. The choice is really between VirtualBox (free) and whether you want to shell out the money for VMWare. VMWare has really gotten it nailed down with version 3.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
In my opinion, Parallels has become basically irrelevant these days. The choice is really between VirtualBox (free) and whether you want to shell out the money for VMWare. VMWare has really gotten it nailed down with version 3.

I also like VMWare, its pretty solid and speed. I don't know why but Parallel for me is sluggish and isn't quite as responsive as VMware. I also don't like the fact that I have to install additional tools after installing Parallel plus Windows on Parallel.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I also like VMWare, its pretty solid and speed. I don't know why but Parallel for me is sluggish and isn't quite as responsive as VMware. I also don't like the fact that I have to install additional tools after installing Parallel plus Windows on Parallel.

Well, VMWare needs a support package in the VM too, but it does a good job of automatically installing it without any fuss. It's not the same on Linux unfortunately, it takes a bit more work in the terminal. I had thought Parallels installed it automatically as well, but I could be wrong on that.

I too find VMWare to be faster. But the key thing for me is stability. I had occasional crashes with Parallels 3.0 (never used 4.0, my license is solely for 3.0). In particular, USB device handling was extremely poor. Additionally, VMWare's support for Linux was much, much stronger.

But in hindsight, I probably shouldn't be trashing Parallels or even comparing it with VMWare at this stage, since it's two major revisions beyond where it was when I last actively used it. For all I know, it could be completely different now.

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What if those improvements have yet to be discovered/developed? It's possible that things will pop up as well as Windows 7 gets more usage in Parallels. ;)

That would be totally understandable.:)

My main message earlier was that I would hope that Parallels 5 wasn't rushed into production just to be released shortly after Windows 7 so Macintosh users could immediately jump into using Windows 7.

Parallels 4:

Parallels Desktop 4.0 for Mac - Run Windows on your Mac the Easy Way!

...doesn't mention anything about Windows 7 compatibility...so that would be the big selling point for Parallels 5.

What I would hope not to see, is a Parallels 5 rushed into production (for Windows 7 compatibility)...then found to be very "buggy"...then all the bugs worked out just in time for Parallels 6...and another $49 dollar upgrade.

If there are bugs in Parallels 5...and are fixed via free updates...then that would be much more fair.

- Nick

Reaction score
Parallels Desktop 4.0 for Mac - Run Windows on your Mac the Easy Way!

Does this mean the Bootcamp way is the hard way, if so.. there is still hope for me...;D

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If there are bugs in Parallels 5...and are fixed via free updates...then that would be much more fair.
I'm sure this will be the case. I'm sure there will be 5.x.x releases to fix up compatibility along the way.

For now, I'll stick with VirtualBox. It doesn't have all the fancy features of Fusion or Parallels but it's stable, easy and free.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.