• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

getting ready to throw in the towel!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac
I'm desperate...been trying to make a slide show with iPhoto 8 and iMovie 8 with Snow Leopard for the past week now.... here is what's been happening (or should I say from lack of experience)...
transferred about 200 photos from my camera to iPhoto. some of them are short movies that I want to incorporate into my slideshow to be shown on my TV. Made an album with the video's in it, created a slideshow in iPhoto with random transitions and here is where I'm stuck. How do I export it to iMovie so I can do additional editing, add music (but I want to keep the audio from the clips) etc etc..... When I try to export it, it asks me if I want it to be a quick time movie. Is this what I want to do? if I clik the export button on the lower right hand side of iPhoto it give me many more options like iPhone, mobile me, etc etc. Which should I select? After that, how do I get it into iMovie? Once in I movie, can I edit it? What would you suggest?
Once more thing, When I try to create a new event with iMovie, it bombs out, takes me back to the desktop, asks me if I want to restore (or resume). Anyone else having these problems?

Do I sound confused? I sure am. I just moved over from a PC about a year ago and I getting thoughts about going back because of this... HELP!
(and thanks)::Grimmace:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
iPhoto slideshows aren't really designed to be editable - you could export it as a quicktime movie and then edit that further in iMovie, but it might not be as easy as just creating the movie from scratch in iMovie.

Regarding your crash - have you got all updates installed?

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac
Thanks for the info...well I have all my photos in iMovie but I need to insert my Quicktime clips in amongst the photos. Is there a way I can do that, lets say, I have the clips on my desktop, how would I get them mixed in with the photos and have the audio for the clips be heard?

On my version I'm actually running 9 on both iPhoto and iMovie. iMovie is 8.0.6.
Thanks for all your help....;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
I would just start from scratch and edit all this stuff just like a regular iMovie project. Use the media buttons right underneath the Viewer to import photos and videos from your hard drive. Create the slideshow in iMovie, as described here:
Apple - iLife - Find out how to use iLife applications on the Mac.

Basically, you just drag the photos you want to use into the project pane, then click on each photo's clip adjustments button to change the duration to whatever you want.

However, if iPhoto is giving you the option to export the slideshow as a movie file, that would work too. It would import into iMovie as a regular video clip which you can then split up if you want to add other footage in between photos.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Just a word of advice...

Take a breath and go easy. This is only your first post so you can't be THAT ready to just give up on such an amazing piece of technology. This seems to be a pretty simple problem to troubleshoot... I don't even use iMovie and I was able to find the best or at least recommended way of solving this problem pretty easily. If something as trivial as this is enough to try your patience and chase you back to Windows, you might want to rethink your approach!

Remember, these are all new programs on an all new operating system. Whenever you use an unfamiliar feature, you should be prepared to take some time learning about it before you even think about winging it on your own... that is sure to lead to frustration.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac
Just a word of advice...

Take a breath and go easy. This is only your first post so you can't be THAT ready to just give up on such an amazing piece of technology. This seems to be a pretty simple problem to troubleshoot... I don't even use iMovie and I was able to find the best or at least recommended way of solving this problem pretty easily. If something as trivial as this is enough to try your patience and chase you back to Windows, you might want to rethink your approach!

Remember, these are all new programs on an all new operating system. Whenever you use an unfamiliar feature, you should be prepared to take some time learning about it before you even think about winging it on your own... that is sure to lead to frustration.

You are absolutely rite... I started with MAC about 2 years ago and had to learn it pretty much on my own. Was with PC's since their inception with my first OS being the original "Windows" version and worked my up thru every OS stopping with Vista. It's not the MAC, it's me with my "bad" habits. Guess I was whining about things not going the way I thought it should go. Believe me, I'm never going back. Just gotta start thinking in MAC and not PC!
I do have one question though...I was finally able to make the video slideshow in iMovie. I forgot iPhoto though since no matter what I did to get iMovie to import the quicktime movie, it still bombed out on me just as it was completing the process which is leading me to believe that my iMove is corrupt so I purchased iLife today and will load it up and see if cures the problem. In the meantime I created the video in iMovie quite easily, shared it with iDVD and burned it but it seems the "quality" is a little pixelated, not as clear as the original photos. Is this normal and is there a way I can render the video in HD or a higher quality either in iMovie or iDVD?
Anyway, thanks for the info.....:D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.