Hardrive help

Reaction score
HELP with new hardrive setup
So I just installed new memory and a larger hardrive on my wife's macbook. We have the old hardrive and an external where we backed up to with Time Machine. So I went and did the hardware installs and no problems but I received some miss information on the web and didn't realize that I just need to boot from the external. So I put in the OS disc and couldn't get it out without going through the process of installing OSX on the new hardrive. So now I have a like new macbook but without the stuff on it from the old drive.

1 How do I erase and reformat the new hardrive so i can start from scratch with the time machine backup from the external drive.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
boot from your install disc holding C key down when you hear the startup chime, choose language, then go to utilities in the menu bar and choose restore from backup, and select the drive, time machine backup, etc.
It will guide you through to restart :)

OP
D
Reaction score
I've gone to the utilities but the only things there are, start up disk, reset password, disk utility, terminal, system profiler and network utility there isn't a restore from backup. Not sure what to do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Hold on, I'm going off memory, so just let me boot of my install disc and find it for you and I'll post right back.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, I'm back.
Restore from backup is there at the bottom of the dropdown menu....
So, let's go another way.
Open up finder and go to applications>utilities>migration assistant, put in your password, continue, and select from a time machine backup or other disk.

OP
D
Reaction score
The external doesn't show up in the box. Can you tell me how to just erase and re format so I can start over?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Erase and format the external drive?

OP
D
Reaction score
No I accidently formated the new drive and loaded os x on it. Now I'd like to erase and reformat it so I can start over and try installing everything from the time machine backup on the external.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok.. so boot from the disc, language>utilities>disk utility.
Select the drive Macintosh HD (second on the left under the size and name of the new drive) and erase tab, format as mac os extended (journaled), and select erase in the bottom left of the window.

EDIT:OOPS>>>>>ERASE BOTTOM RIGHT OF WINDOW!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.