is there an offline librarian for OSX?

Reaction score
I am looking for software that will allow me to search for files that are saved on external hard drives without having to be connected to them. I want to be able to locate a file from a kind of virtual index of the hard drive - ideally the file structure and search functions would resemble OSX, except it would only have names of files, not the data itself. then, when I know which hard drive the desired file is on, i can plug in just that drive and retrieve the file. make sense? there's something for PC called datacatcher that seems to do this; haven't found anything for mac. thanks for any help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core 2 Duo, PPC G4
I think you can do it with a program called DiskCatalogMaker. I use the program for CDs and DVDs, but it can also catalog hard drives, so it should work. It's shareware ($19) and you can try a fully working version first. It's frequently updated and the best disk cataloging program that I've tried.

Claire

OP
M
Reaction score
thanks for advice!

I have, since posting, come across a program called disk librarian, which works very well so far. only have had one issue with it not recognizing or being able to index a drive. all other drives are fine. so far. I will look into this suggestion, though. thanks! - m.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.