External DVD burner question(s)

W

wildk9

Hi, new here and long time Mac user. I have an iBook G3, 800 MHz, with 640 Mb of Ram and a 30 gig hard drive (16 gig available). I have an 80 gig external HD with 70 gig available. I am running OS 10.2.8 and have all the latest upgrades for my computer and software. I also have Altec Lansing speakers, an Olympus 4 megapixel digital camera and Airport Extreme base station with an Airport card in the iBook. I've suffered one Logic Board failure, otherwise there have been few issues with the iBook. I purchased most everything almost two years ago.

First of all, nice site. I like the colours and the layout. I get sick of the same old blue where ever I go. I also like the smilies. They're unique.

My question is simply this. I want to make DVD's from a new MiniDV camcorder I am going to get after Christmas and was wondering if an external DVD burner will work on a G3 with 800 MHz. I'm not expecting it to zoom along but if it is going to waste half my DVD's just trying to burn one and crap out all the time I won't bother. I've decided (after doing some looking here and at the local Mac dealers) to purchase a Lacie DVD Burner. It will be Firewire and double-sided. I am not going to get a new computer just to accommodate the MiniDV. I would in fact get a DVD recorder that goes straight from the MiniDV to the DVD recorder if the Mac route proves useless. Unfortunately this would negate doing editing and adding music. I also want to create DVD's from photos I've collected and send them to my parents who are far far away. I want to add music and make a nice presentation. So simply put, will the iBook I have described above cut the mustard?

Thanks for the info.

OP
W

wildk9

What??? Did I forget the secret handshake? Not one person here knows whether a G3 iBook will make DVD's? I find that a little hard to believe.

Well, it's a nice place to visit...

OP
W

wildk9

No, no, that's OK. I went ANOTHER site, posted the same exact question and got an answer within minutes. But hey, thanks for ALL the help. :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Well you posted a yerterday at 6:03 hadn't received an answer by 7:45 and have given up?

Give us a day at least...

But hey, trust the answer you got from the other site...

OP
W

wildk9

Aptmunich said:
Well you posted a yerterday at 6:03 hadn't received an answer by 7:45 and have given up?

Give us a day at least...

But hey, trust the answer you got from the other site...

Actually it was a day. it was 6:03 on the 3rd and 7:45 on the 4th. The answer on the other site was so vague and didn't deal with times or any pitfalls that may occur and so was virtually useless. The answer as essentially "it'll be OK". If I'm laying out $200+ I would like a little more than "OK".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
buffer underrun errors would be a problem, but that amount of RAM should keep you away from those, as long as you dont have many apps running simultaneously hile burning the dvds. also, what software will you be using to burn dvds? does your mac have a connection that supports the minidv cam?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
wildk9 said:
Actually it was a day. it was 6:03 on the 3rd and 7:45 on the 4th. The answer on the other site was so vague and didn't deal with times or any pitfalls that may occur and so was virtually useless. The answer as essentially "it'll be OK". If I'm laying out $200+ I would like a little more than "OK".
Sorry, my mistake!

I don't think that iDVD supports G3 processors, so you wouldn't be able to use that to burn DVD's, but you should be able to use toast to back-up your MiniDV recordings...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.