• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

One of my Most Frustrating Windows Gripes

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo iMac, 1.5 GHZ PPC Mac Mini, MacBook MB403LL/A
And, one more reason to feel certain the replacement for my XP MCE PC will be another Mac:

For those of you that use both Windows and the Mac OS, if you watch DVD's on your Windows machine(s), have you noticed that regardless of the app DVD's are played with in Windows (PowerDVD, WMP, Nero Showtime), the DVD audio level is always dramatically lower than any other audio source in Windows? This seems to be a very common "That's just the way it is" issue, and I have yet to find a solution (if there is one). If anyone does know a workaround/fix for this, I'd be most grateful, but I believe there's no fix/solution. OTOH, DVD's played in OS X, sound just as loud and clear as any other source. Setting my master volume in Windows to 100%, just to hear a DVD properly, only to blasted out of my chair by the notification sound of an incoming e-mail, is really annoying. So, there ya go. One more not often mentioned, but good reason to stick with a Mac.

Mark

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
Windows plays DVDs?!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.
Limited edition versions!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz/4GB/250GB, G4 Cube 450MHz + 17" Studio LCD
You need to install a decoder of some kind before Windows plays DVDs.

Or, after you install another kind of DVD player software (like Cyberlink PowerDVD), Windows uses the decoder that it installs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I have noticed this problem on both windows and Macs, so I attribute it to the DVDs. My iBook and my POS Dell laptop play DVDs at the close to, or the same sound level from what I can tell.

OP
geekboy2000
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
baggss said:
I have noticed this problem on both windows and Macs, so I attribute it to the DVDs. My iBook and my POS Dell laptop play DVDs at the close to, or the same sound level from what I can tell.

That's interesting. I do notice variations between DVDs to be sure, but as just one exampe:

The Corrs - Live at Lansdowne Road
The audio level is dramatically lower on my Windows machine when compared with any other audio source level. On my Mac mini, the very same DVD plays at a volume level almost identical to any other audio source. If I were to push the volume to max on the mini, I'd be shot across the room.

Mark

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody Macbook 2.0, Blackberry Bold (Good Riddance iPhone)
Have you gone into your control panel and checked your sound settings there? You should have a set of adjustable sliders for different sound levels as your optical drive has its own sound cable going to your sound card. This level should be adjustable and is different from your regular PC speakers. I just got a MCE Dell box but haven't tried playing any DVD's yet as I don't use my desktop for that. My old PC laptop never had a sound difference between playing DVD's and anything else. Check that setting and let me know what you find, it just sounds like something isn't set right.

OP
geekboy2000
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
techster82 said:
Have you gone into your control panel and checked your sound settings there? You should have a set of adjustable sliders for different sound levels as your optical drive has its own sound cable going to your sound card. This level should be adjustable and is different from your regular PC speakers. I just got a MCE Dell box but haven't tried playing any DVD's yet as I don't use my desktop for that. My old PC laptop never had a sound difference between playing DVD's and anything else. Check that setting and let me know what you find, it just sounds like something isn't set right.

Each optical drive is connected only via the IDE/digital cable and both drives are configured to play digital audio. I believe that if I were to connect the audio cable from the DVD drive, that might resolve it, but it would be analog output, and only two channels (defeating many of the features associated with digital audio).

Mark

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What I have noticed as well as everyone I am friends with is that Laptops seem quite low when playing DVD's with everything maxed. My iBook when playing DVD's might be a hair louder, but the 12" ibook's audio is not that loud with any source to begin with.

Most people I know though do notice that DVD's audio is down a bit compaired to other sources.

OP
geekboy2000
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I notice too that DVD audio seems to bypass any software equalization (on Windows machines) that other audio does pass through. For example, when playing a DVD in WMP, the EQ functionality is disabled. Likewise in other DVD playing apps, I don't recall seeing audio EQ functionality. Anyway, no such problem exists for me with the Mac. :)

Mark

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.