restore iphone4s backup onto old iphone3gs

Reaction score
hello,

a couple of months ago i used to have an iphone 3gs and switched to the iphone 4s. I used the same personal computer itunes to maintain both phones. when i got the iphone 4s, i was able to restore my latest iphone 3gs backup onto it successfully.

When i go to Preferences -> Devices, i see a 3gs backup timestamped several months ago when i switched to the 4s. I also see my latest 4s backup timestamped last week. Sadly, my 4s is now broken so i want to reuse my 3gs. My plan was to use the latest 4s backup and restore that to my old 3gs phone.

The problem is, when my 3gs is connected to iTunes and I choose to "Restore from Backup", the only choice i am given is to restore using a backup of my old 3gs before i switched to the 4s, timestamped several months ago. I expected to see my latest 4s backup from last week as a possible restore point.

Is it not possible to put a 4s backup onto a 3gs?

Appreciate the input.

OP
S
Reaction score
RESOLVED

i had to update to the latest iOS on my 3gs and then my 4s backup was available as restore option.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.