2007 Mac Pro not booting correctly

Reaction score
A few days ago, when I attempted to wake my 2007 Mac Pro from slumber, the fans kicked on full speed and nothing else happened. So I turned it off. I tried to turn it on later and the fans were going full throttle again, but nothing else was happening.

Today I opened the sucker up and tried again. No luck. The light on the front is flashing, both the RAM boards flash up once red as well has the video card, and the video card fan sounds like it's trying to take off.

I'm fairly certain my video card is ATI Radeon 1900XT. There is barely any dust around anything visible. I'm about an hours drive away from the nearest apple store, and I don't have a ton of money to dish out anyways.

Ple-ase Haalp

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
*27" imac C2D 3.0/1TB/16GB**Mac Pro Octo 2.8/4x1TB/16GB**Mac Pro Quad 2.66/2x1TB/8GB**iPhone 4*
I refurbish many Mac pro's and have experienced the same issue with an 08 Pro. Unfourtunate you will need some spare parts for diagnosis. First replace the neglected CMOS back up battery, flat lithium 2032, this will help alot of confusing issues caused by a defective, dying or dead battery. You have mentioned that the front light is flashing, this is an error code telling you that memory is not present. The 08 pro I had for repair showed the same issue you have explained. I found that the video card and memory risers had gone bad also taking the memory with it. So you will need known good parts to test with to diagnose which have gone bad. Video spins up very high and does not settle most likely card has shorted, flashing light on front memory not present, risers shorted out and possible memory modules with it. Again start with that back battery first as it is the cheapest and quickest method of repair. Your pro is not dead and this is a promise. I can be helpful in more ways than one if you need and you may contact me if you like to for some support as far as trouble shooting your machine.
Post back your results

OP
C
Reaction score
I finally made it out to the store to get the battery. I popped it in, and i still had the same problem. However, This time when i removed the memory board with the two after market mushkin ram chips, it came on and everything is fine now...well, considering 1 Gb of ram is better than a room fan with a blinking light. So now I'm gonna play around with different combinations to see what my next option is. Thanks guys!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.