• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

iMovie 09 not responding

Reaction score
I've had iMovie09 for well over a year with no problems. The other day, however, it just decided to stop responding. I was adding some sound to a clip and the beach ball began spinning...and spinning...and spinning and I had to Force Quit.
I've searched the internet to see if anyone else had the same problem and found a variety of different solutions, some rather weird, all of which I've tried. These solutions include : changing the screen colours and recalibrating the display, moving all movie files from iPhoto (didn't have any), letting my laptop work its way through (I left it for over 5 hours) and, the most popular one, deleting apple.iPhoto.plist from Preferences (actually I couldn't find this in Preferences - maybe that's the problem??). I'd hate to lose a project I've been working on for over 18 months (I make a lot of use of Greenscreen) so I would really appreciate any advice!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
I don't know why some of those ideas would work with iMovie. Some seem just outright off.

If you were to remove a preference file, the right one would be named something like "com.apple.iMovie8.plist". Drag it/them to your desktop and restart iMovie. If it solves the problem, then trash the one(s) you moved to the desktop.

Another option may be to re-install iMovie. You'll need your original install disc for that process. These two Apple articles may be helpful; 1, 2.

Your description of "not responding" doesn't tell us much. Does iMovie start? There are logs you can review that may help. You run the "Console.app" in the Utilities folder before starting iMovie.

Reaction score
I think i just installed an update for Imovie a few hours ago.................

OP
D
Reaction score
xstep ; yes, iMovie opens as it should, but if I click onto a clip in the Project or Event libraries (to remove it, edit it, whatever), the beachball starts spinning and that's that.In fact, I don't even need to click - just pause the cursor for a few seconds. I can open a music and sound effects, transitions etc file but then the same thing happens - the whole thing hangs and I can't do anything with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
I've never had this problem. I've seen people mention something like this a couple of times, but don't recall a fix. I think I saw someone mention that you shouldn't use the '&' symbol in any names, but that is grasping. If I run over those mentions, I'll link to them.

Another file you might want to try dragging to the desktop is 'com.apple.iMovie.LSSharedFileList.plist'. I don't know what it is used for, but what do you have to loose.

I'd also look at the logging via Console.app. It may give some clues. Do that.

If that doesn't help, try trashing iMovie and reinstalling it.

OP
D
Reaction score
xstep : I can't find any iMovie p.list files in Preferences so that's a non-starter. I looked at the logging in the Console.app but it meant nothing to me unfortunately!

Removed and re-installed iMovie but no joy there either. Also tried another suggestion I found that seemed like it may offer the solution but, no. I'm really stumped now. But I thank you for your advice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just out of curiosity, which Preferences folder are you looking at?

Have you changed your username lately?

You can post some of the Console.app output here. Start it, click on 'All Messages' at the left, scroll to the bottom of the list, remember the time stamp, start iMovie and do something that causes that 'lack' of feed back, look at the console and copy and paste the feedback, if any, here.

OP
D
Reaction score
HD/Library/Preferences - please don't tell me there's another one!!

No, haven't changed my username and nobody else uses my laptop.

The problem obviously lies in the Project file so I've trashed it. Fortunately I still have all the Event stuff on iMovie 08 so I haven't lost that. Just means I'll have to reconstruct my movie again and hope it goes better this time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You are looking at the wrong Preferences folder. That is a global one that all users see. The one you want to examine is your personal one. It isn't a direct copy.

When you open a new Finder window, the display is opened to your home folder. In that folder is a Library folder and within that is a Preferences folder. They are part of the account. If your computer had another account, that account would have these folders too, but with settings that would be different. Never trash these folders because they hold a ton of information that is required.

Did trashing the project fix the problem?

OP
D
Reaction score
Not too sure what you mean about the Preferences folder, but I will try to figure it out.

I've started reassembling my Project and so far it seems to be working OK.

Fingers crossed!

OP
D
Reaction score
Ah, OK. Yes, I see what you mean. Finding that earlier might have solved the problem! At least, if it happens again, I'll know where to look.

Thanks for your help, xstep.

Reaction score
It works now!

If you were to remove a preference file, the right one would be named something like "com.apple.iMovie8.plist". Drag it/them to your desktop and restart iMovie. If it solves the problem, then trash the one(s) you moved to the desktop.

IT WORKED! THANK YOU!!! EVERYONE TRY THIS ^^^

Click finder> library>preferences> and find the file com.apple.iMovie8.plist and move it to the desktop (I didn't delete mine, I just copied it to the desktop). Next, I opened I movie and it was working! Everything was back to normal! I can't believe this!

It finally works!!!! YES!!!! :'( tears of joy!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.