Reinstall Leopard (clean wipe/install): Can I keep activated apps?

Reaction score
I want to reinstall Leopard cleanly, ie wiping my HDD and performing a fresh install. However, I have applications installed that were activated with a purchased product key. Is there a way to reinstall the OS without having to purchase another key?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
You should be able to just reinstall the app and re-enter your license information.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac - Intel Core 2 Duo - 3.06 MHz - 4GB RAM - 1TB HD - ATI Radeon 4850 512MB video
Yes, you'll have to reinstall the apps and re-enter your product keys. If your app was installed from a download, not from a CD/DVD, then I'd suggest contacting the product's customer service because often those download links expire after a short time and so does the key that was given in the email with the link to the download. So you'll need to get a new link and a new key. There shouldn't be any problem getting a new link/key so long as you use the same email account to contact them. Download services (like Digital River) usually key the accounts to email addresses.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
Quite often you can login to 'Your Account' or the like on the company's website and retrieve either the key or the download, or both.

Also, many suppliers will have sent the key in an email. As long as you backup those emails in some way before you wipe your disk, you can reactivate the products afterwards.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
A good way to keep all those activation codes - Use the Keychain or 1 Password - I use both currently.

With the Keychain, I create Secure Notes for all the activation codes, passwords, logins, etc.

Am "assuming" here that you will do a backup prior to the clean install.

Once you're done, import your previous "log-in keychain" into your fresh install. Voila, all your passwords, etc. are right back where you left off in the old system. Easy access to your activation codes, etc.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I want to reinstall Leopard cleanly, ie wiping my HDD and performing a fresh install. However, I have applications installed that were activated with a purchased product key. Is there a way to reinstall the OS without having to purchase another key?

It's very rare that you need to completely reinstall the Mac OS...especially due to a wiping the hard drive (another rarely needed activity).

Why do you need to wipe your hard drive?...maybe it is unnecessary...especially since this may mess up already installed applications.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac - Intel Core 2 Duo - 3.06 MHz - 4GB RAM - 1TB HD - ATI Radeon 4850 512MB video
A good way to keep all those activation codes - Use the Keychain or 1 Password - I use both currently.
I need an app that keeps all my passwords securely. Am I understanding your comment correctly that the Mac OS X Keychain can keep information other than passwords to system accounts, email accounts, and so forth?

I've been using a little freeward app called "Passkeeper" on my Windows machines.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You understand correctly.

Open up Keychain - go to File - New Secure Note item
I keep separate secure note items for passwords as well.
I use to create the Secure Note while signing up to new sites and do everything in the secure note, then copy and paste from there to the log in to alleviate the issue of any mis-typing.

Nothing can be opened without your master password. And I've moved my login keychain after clean installs from Tiger through Leopard and now into SL.

The same and more can be done with 1Password if you're wanting a login manager though. I actually still keep everything in both places in case a single location becomes corrupted. (Although, not really necessary since I also keep two backups.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you!! I'll check out that 1Password app, too. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.