skype on new imac wont work on wifi

Reaction score
Not sure if this is mac issue or the nature of skype since im new user to both.downloaded skyp and registered fine but in account area it says my wifi does not support skype acess.I have a basic comcast home wifi set up and I wanted skype for video chat with friend in England.
If skype really does not work with wifi are there any other options to set p video chat?Im not sure what my friends computer is or what her set up is like but she does have a webcam.thanks for the help
Matt

Reaction score
I've used Skype dozens of times on Wi-Fi (on Windows-based machines)... I don't think that'd be it.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks,now when I go to my account it says skype access is disabled.I take it this means just skype for my hotspots with a laptop and not for my desktop even though it is connected through wifi?hope thats the case and thanks for your help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Think so, I have never used Skype Access so I can't tell you for sure. From what I can tell switching it off on one computer doesn't disable it on the other one.
What Skype Access does is this, you find a hotspot in a city and need to use it. If the hotspot owner has Skype Access support installed and requires payment to use the hotspot you can pay for the hotspot with Skype Credits instead of going and buying a coffee/or paying him in dollars to get access to the internet.

OP
M
Reaction score
Makes sense to me thanks again.Looks like skype had a poor choice for describing what is going on here.Very confusing and makes you believe skype access not available for your router network

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.