Help! Blue flicker when connecting MBP to TV with HDMI

Reaction score
Hi, I have been trying to connect my MBP to a Panasonic 42" TV with a Monoprice Mini DVI to HDMI cable. I use the headphone jack for audio and the audio is working well. I can get a picture and the display preferences shows the Panasonic TV. The picture quality is fine (great actually) but frequently - maybe every 15 sec or so the TV image and MacBook Pro goes blue and comes back after a few flickers - as if there were a loss of signal. Has anyone had a similar issue or can anyone tell me where the problem lies? Is my cable bad? I have an American MBP and a PAL TV (though it is supposed to play NTSC as well). Any help is appreciated. Thanks

MacBook Pro OSX 10.6.7
Panasonic 42" TV
Panasonic TX-L42S20, 42"LCD, FullHD, 100Hz, DVB-T/C, Schwarz
Mini DVI to HDMI
For only $8.26 each when QTY 50+ purchased - 10ft 32AWG Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Cable - White | Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Cables

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
First thing to do is unplug the cable (both ends) and plug it back in - even if it looks ok.

That doesn't work, the cable would be my first suspect. But, I'd try your MBP to another TV.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.