15" Powerbook w Panther 10.3.9 to Leopard or Tiger?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 15" 1.25GHz
Know this has probably been asked but couldn't find anything. (Couldn't even find my old posts!)

I have a 2003 15" Powerbook 1.25 GHz that I just pulled one of the 256 chips out (had 512) and put in a Crucial 1MH chip. Have a new hard drive in it also.

Question, in light of all the difficulties aned issues with Leopard (just read the comments at the Apple sight and the ones since Dec 25th are scary).

Would I be better to just upgrade to Tiger 10.4 or leave it as Pantehr 10.3?

Issue to consider, apparnetly the DVD player in Leopard will not run on my machine, oterhwise everything else is ok. How will I be able to play DVDs if the Leopard version won't work? Can I keep the Panther version?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gateway2000 P5-60. 66Mhz and 128 MB RAM.
I personally have never used panther but by what I have heard Tiger was a huge improvement. I fail to understand as to why DVD player won't run on your machine. You do have a DVD drive right? Most of Leopards issues are being worked out so it's becoming a lot better however it's requirements are higher than that of Tiger.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 15" 1.25GHz
From the Apple Site:

General requirements

Mac computer with an Intel, PowerPC G5, or PowerPC G4 (867MHz or faster) processor

512MB of memory
DVD drive for installation
9GB of available disk space
Some features require a compatible Internet service provider; fees may apply.
Some features require Apple's .Mac service; fees apply.

ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS

DVD Player requires a 1.6GHz processor or faster for improved de-interlacing.

Gotcha. Just like iLife 08 (which it sounds like I am better off with iLife 06. I could run it except for iMovie which had requirements I didn't meet. (None of the original Powerbooks could.)

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 15" 1.25GHz
Conversation with Apple just now.

Hi, my name is ABC(Changed to protect id). Welcome to Apple!
How may I help you today?

Me - I have a 15" Powerbook with 1.25 GH processor. I am running 10.3.9 Panther. I am looking at getting Leopard 10.5 BUT the additional requirements say that the iDVD player are DVD Player requires a 1.6GHz processor or faster for improved de-interlacing. Can I run Leopard?

If so, how do i play DVDs? Can I keep the IDVD from Panther or what?

Them - One moment while I research that for you.

Minimum System Requirements• Mac computer with an Intel, PowerPC G5, or PowerPC G4 (867MHz or faster) processor• 512MB of physical RAM• DVD drive for installation

Do you meet these requirements?

Me - Yes but I don't meet the requirements for the iDVD unless it will work even though I don't have 1.6 GH. BTW I had 512 RAM but pulled one 256 chip set out and put in a 1Meg stick so I have a total of 1.25 Ram. (Doesn't run much faster to be honest.)

Them - Thanks for waiting. I'll be right with you.
It looks like the iDVD may not run optimally.

Me - Will it run? and if so as well as it does now?

Them - It should run like it does now

Me - OK so it looks like I can upgrade to Leopard since I meet all the other specs.

Them I can stay online with you while you complete your order in case you have any other questions about products or the order process.

Me - Thanks but I can handle it from here. Appreciate it. Have a happy new year.

Ssoooo - The question is would you upgrade to Leopard or go to Tiger or stay where I am?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.