Buy the mac mini or this pc. (I violated forum rules)

G

goca

What is better this pc(check the specs) or a Dual 2GHz Power Mac? plz answer

The Pc Spec:

Intel Pentium 4 3.2 GHz 800mhz FSB/HTT/1mb
1024MB DDR400 Pc3200 memory
DUAL DDR SATA, 8X AGP, 5 PCI, 800MHZ FSB
120 GB HARD DISK @ 7200rpm 2mb cache
256MB Geoforce 6600 8X AGP
Wireless 802.11G NETWORK CARD+ADSL ROUTER & MODEM
3 PORT FIREWIRE CARD

Price: £738

Or The iMac 20" G5:

1GB DDR400 SDRAM - 2 DIMMs
250GB Serial ATA drive
2GHz PowerPC G5
DVD-R/CD-RW drive
ATI Radeon 9600 - 128MB DDR
AirPort Extreme
Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR

Price: 1,288.99

I need these computers for Graphic Design work and 3d Modeling and stuf like that? which one would perform better do u know?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
dual 2ghz powermac would do best. 64bit with tiger.. yeah definately. but pc over imac.

OP
G

goca

I have an option of buying the mac mini or this pc (check the specs)

hi guys, ok, im gonna be doing a 3 year Graphic Design Degree and am looking to buy a computer, im low on cash and have a choice between a mac mini 1.42 GHz for about £669 or this custom pc

The Pc Spec:

Intel Pentium 4 3.2 GHz 800mhz FSB/HTT/1mb
1024MB DDR400 Pc3200 memory
DUAL DDR SATA, 8X AGP, 5 PCI, 800MHZ FSB
120 GB HARD DISK @ 7200rpm 2mb cache
256MB Geoforce 6600 8X AGP
Wireless 802.11G NETWORK CARD+ADSL ROUTER & MODEM
3 PORT FIREWIRE CARD

Price: £738

wot do u guys think is better?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac no more - Sony Vaio FZ4000
As much as I like my mini that pc sounds like a much better deal.

OP
B

BEEEsH

dstopsky said:

What I would do is:

Buy a PC, not necessarily the one you mentioned but something that is a bit cheaper and then when you have more funds, go all out on a mac dual g5. By this time next year you could probably find one for a lot cheaper considering the whole intel thing.

Right now I have a mini, which will get me by for programs like PS, illustrator, indesign, premier pro and all other work related stuff. When I get an actual career related position and I have a steady pay, i'm gonna pick up a Dual G5.

OP
T

Tiranis

If you're planning to do 3d modelling then I would suggest to go for PC... Mac Mini is nowhere close to the performance of that PC. On the other hand if you had the money, I would go for Dual 2GHz PowerMac and, of course, you have to be sure that programs you need to use are available for Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
go pc... maybe even find your self a pre-release version of longhorn somewhere. ;)

Reaction score
If I had to choose between that PC or a mini as my only comp, I would go with the PC.

OP
M

Maccraft

Go the PC.... that is one of the few good things about pcs... you can get them cheap and get a great graphics card. My brother has a dual g5 and it is a gun! so i would try and save up for one of those. The minni is a very cool computer and you fall in love with it but remember its only got a Radeon 3200 with 32mb of memory... that wont do to well if your doing alot with graphic design.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" intel iMac, 15" MBP, 3 X 13.3" MB (family etc), G4 tower, 12" G4 PowerBook, iBook G4, 20" iMacG5
Take out a loan in a different country, buy a DP Powermac, and hey presto.
No, get the PC, its way better specs for the money!
Alex

OP
B

Berman

dstopsky said:

No apple is 'as good of a deal' as the pc's. They're just too cheap.

I bought my mini today from the apple store. Came with 1.42GHz, 512megs, superdrive, airpoint card. $820, with student discount. For $820 you can get a Dell that comes with a 17" flat-screen, a printer, keyboard, mouse, a much larger hd, and a better video card.

I bought the Mini as a toy basically, considering I own a new pc desktop and a thinkpad r40. I really like the mini though, it's a neat little machine.

Reaction score
Berman said:
For $820 you can get a Dell that comes with a 17" flat-screen, a printer, keyboard, mouse, a much larger hd, and a better video card.

Check gotapex.com, you can get a Dell with a 20.1in LCD P4, 512mb, and better video for $850...

OP
B

Berman

mynameis said:
Check gotapex.com, you can get a Dell with a 20.1in LCD P4, 512mb, and better video for $850...

my point exactly. you can't touch the pc's in prices.

OP
C

clintz

Berman said:
my point exactly. you can't touch the pc's in prices.

Yeah you can, in the high end models PCs get pretty expensive too, I read a couple of articles on the net where they did comparison between the powermac g5 2,7 GHZ and the top of the line from dell. They had similar performances in all but server technologies (they didnt compare xserve, only Tiger and the G5) where the powermac lagged behind. In the end the dell box was more expensive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.