Advice please! - 2009 MBP 15" 2.8ghz w/ FW800 WiFi issues when using FW HDD enclosure

Reaction score
Hey people

As the title basically says I have a Mid-2009 MacBookPro 2.8ghz, with 7200RPM 500gb HDD, 4gb RAM and running 10.6.4.

I recently bought an external (cheap) Dual Array HDD Enclosure which supports FW400/FW800/USB2 connections. When I originally had the drive attached with only a single drive enclosed in the enclosure my WiFi would frequently/constantly not work.

After adding in a 2nd drive to the enclosure initially all seemed to be OK and both WiFi seemed to work at first (with occasionally pauses when the HDD's were busy being used) to causing frequent WiFi drop outs and an ability to connect to a WiFi network but have no Internet access.

All along though, the minute I pulled out the FW800 connection the WiFi immediately restored itself and everything worked again fine, but I was unable to access the HDDs.

A friend of mine explained that the WiFi chipset and FW800 chipset both access the same PCIe bus in the MBP and he believed the chipset being used in the enclosure was to blame. Finding external dual array FW800 enclosures is not so easy, so i'm not sure if there are any Oxford chipset based ones that would support drive spanning.

But anyhow thought I would ask on here to hear others thoughts if they thought the machine was the cause, the chipset in the enclosure, a combination, or something else? And if anyone can recommend an external FW800 Dual Array (or even quad array) enclosure that WILL work with WiFi and FW800 drive connected at the same time!

Thanks in advance!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Mac Sales (OWC) has a large stock of drive arrays and cases. If you're in the US give them a call on their 800 number and ask what they would recommend.

Here's the LINK to their on line store. Their stock items are top of the line.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.