Errors installing OSX 10.3

D

David123

I have an apple mac G4 with a 111GB hard disk. It is a nice clean machine, just 18 months old. I had an upgrade problem (those reading another thread know about it!) and so chose to clean install the OSX 10.3 with a new CD I just bought. I have tried to install many times and keep getting the following error messages when it did not install the software:

 Root:bootstrap_look_up(): unknown error
 Error:Could not read archive file. – pax:Invalid header, starting valid header search
 Last message repeated 6 times
 Error:Internal archive error. – pax: Cpio file name in header is corrupted –
 Error:Internal archive error. – pax: Cpio file name in header is corrupted –
 Error:Could not read archive file. – pax:Invalid header, starting valid header search
 Error:Could not write file. – pax: WARNING! These patterns were not matched: -
 Some files for AsianLanguageSupport may not have been written correctly Root: 1976-04-03 15:08:47.418 Installer[112] Exception raised during posting of notification. Ignored. Exception: Some files for AsianLanguageSupport may have not been written correctly, (code 1)
 Install failed
 Error detected
 Name: NSGenericException
 Some files for AsianLanguageSupport may have not been written correctly, (code 1)

The when I try to install again, it offers me to upgrade, when I do attempt the upgrade it again says that there were errors installing the software with the following error messages:

 Root:bootstrap_look_up(): unknown error
 Error detected
 Name NSInvaledException
 Reason: Can’t open package /volumes/Macintosh HD/Library/Receipts/Basesystem.pkg (there was an error reading the file Archive.bom)
 Completed installation steps:
 Remaining installation steps
 Root: 1976-04-03 15:44:46.407 Installer[113] Exception raised during posting of notification. Ignored. Exception: Can’t open package /volumes/Macintosh HD/Library/Receipts/Basesystem.pkg
 Install failed
 Error detected
 Name: NSGenericException
 Reason: Can’t open package /volumes/Macintosh HD/Library/Receipts/Basesystem.pkg (there was an error reading the file Archive.bom)

If I try to install again (for a 3rd time in a row) it does not see the partial installation already there and does not offer to upgrade it but just to install it from fresh.

I have:
 Repaired permissions with install CD
 Checked computer with Alsoft Disk Warrior
 Checked computer and run all available tests on Tech Tool Pro 4
 Run fsck in single user mode
All these tests showed no problems with the computer.

Any ideas of how I can proceed?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
What type system are you trying to install this OS on?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can your powermac boot into OS 9?
Do you have the OS 9 install media?

OP
D

David123

No. I have a 10.2.3 cd and a 10.3 cd and a blank (wiped with zeros) HD. If I try to install the above error messages happen, it does not coplete a full install and so i have nothing to boot in to, just a blank screen holding a flashing question mark :)

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay, here is what I am thinking. Since you have a G4 you don't have the 8GB disk limitation problem.

I am starting fresh here since i don't remember what was in the other thread.

Try to do a clean install again. Make sure you wipe the disk clean first. You may have a corrupted frist install, but I can say for sure.

Make sure your install media is clean before you start the new installation.

Also notice select only the subsystems you want to install. You don't need all of the printer drivers or all of the different languages. This will shorten up your install time.

It should not take any more than an hour to do this installation. So be sure to let the installation complete. If you interrupt the installation, then you will have a big problem. We may need to search the Apple boards for a solution to an interrupted OS X installation.

Hopefully you are able to complete the installation. The next step is to get it to revision 10.3.5. You will need to download Mac OS X Combined Update 10.3.5 to finish up the update.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A side note: I was thinking of trying to install OS 9 and see if that would boot up. But you don't have the OS 9 media.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.