Mail problems

AJB

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.8 24"/ 13" macbook pro / G4 tower & cinema scrren / 12" powerbook / classic curvy G3 laptop!
I am running 10.4.11 on a G4 12" powerbook that I only use when traveling.

I cannot use Mail in the usual way when abroad (as it refuses to send mail citing SMTP problems, though it will receive it - can I fix that or is it down to the local network?). So I use .Mac web mail (much too slow for everyday use).

The problem is that .Mac webmail will frequently tell me that I have say 9 mail messages but only say 7 will be visible. The laptop is set to download every minute but even if I hit the "get mail" icon only the 7 mails will appear.

To get round this I have to log out, and log back in again and then the 9 mails eventually appear. This is stupidly slow and annoying if I am corresponding with someone for business for example.

Is this a bug?

Is there a fix?

I run Leopard on my iMac in my office, but it has not been what you might call bug free so I am reluctant to switch the laptop from Tiger currently.

Thanks

Adrian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
Most problems I've run into with smtp is with passwords. They aren't needed for outgoing and if they are setup, they won't send.
If this isn't your situation, could you detail the error?
Also, check the logs in Console. See if it shows anything related. (applications/utilities)

My wife uses .mac webmail on occasion and always complains about it, too. ;)

OP
A

AJB

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.8 24"/ 13" macbook pro / G4 tower & cinema scrren / 12" powerbook / classic curvy G3 laptop!
Thanks Soulwar

I am now back in England and so I cannot replicate the problem (it only ever happens on someone else's network).

I am not aware how to change the smtp settings in respect of passwords for outgoing Mail.

Nothing showed up in the logs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.