Powerbook G4 Problem

H

HvyJet

My P B has a problem since it slipped off the bed and landed on the corner where the battery lives.
The symptoms are:
On startup the the screen never appears until i either turn it off and on several times or remove the battery.

Locks up...working fine then all of sudden mouse stops and i have to shutdown and reboot.

occasionally i will see a multilanguage message saying i have to shutdown my computer.

i know dropping if off the bed was a bad thing but....any ideas.
next stop will be the apple store in dallas i guess.

one last thing

do any of you have a problem with while typing the cursor jumping to another spot in the document? i dont know if my palm is touching the trackpad or what....

thanks for your input
Barney

OP
H

HvyJet

HEY Come on...
Somebody, Anybody! No ideas, hints, or similiar experience out there?
Thanks.
Barney

HvyJet said:
My P B has a problem since it slipped off the bed and landed on the corner where the battery lives.
The symptoms are:
On startup the the screen never appears until i either turn it off and on several times or remove the battery.

Locks up...working fine then all of sudden mouse stops and i have to shutdown and reboot.

occasionally i will see a multilanguage message saying i have to shutdown my computer.

i know dropping if off the bed was a bad thing but....any ideas.
next stop will be the apple store in dallas i guess.

one last thing

do any of you have a problem with while typing the cursor jumping to another spot in the document? i dont know if my palm is touching the trackpad or what....

thanks for your input
Barney

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
As far as typing and having the cursor moving, that is your palm touching the trackpad. There is a setting under Mouse in System Preferences to turn that off. Something like Ignore trackpad clicks or something like that. Not on my book at the moment.

Reaction score
HvyJet said:
HEY Come on...
Somebody, Anybody! No ideas, hints, or similiar experience out there?
Thanks.
Barney
Pretty impossible do give anything but a W.A.G. at it...
You have a hardware problem -- maybe hard drive, maybe motherboard or connections (open the machine, remove your RAM and reinstall it again to make sure its not an intermittant RAM connection). Not video, and unlikely to be power (but still a remote possibility).
If it was running when it hit the floor, theres a reasonable chance of hard drive damage. If you can borrow a Firewire hard drive, install an OS on that, boot the machine from the external, and dismount the internal. Does it still crash on you?

What does Apple Hardware Test say when you boot from the OSX CD/DVD and follow the instructions?
Can you open Disk Utility and get a SMART status on the drive? Have you done a Repair Disk on the drive while booted from the OSX CD/DVD?

Do your homework first, then nag us about not responding....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
I'm guessing you knocked a connector loose, or cracked the logic board, when it fell. The Apple store is probably your only hope...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.