Graphic Tablets - Useful or Headache?

S

SPOW05

Hey all. I've heard mixed reviews on multiple graphic tablets. I'm a graphic designer, and I do a lot of cartooning. Are graphic tablets useful to those of you who are in similar trades? What about bluetooth models? Any information/advice would be helpful. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook 17" 1.5GHz, 2GB, 160GB Momentus; iMac 24" 3.06GHz, 2GB; iPhone 2.5G 8GB; iPod 5G 60GB
I use a Wacom USB tablet of about A5 size, not sure what but it's a few years old. I'm not a professional designer but I do a fair bit of moderately serious photo manipulation in Photoshop. I find the tablet's excellent. For serious work it beats the heck out of a mouse.

Why? (a) accuracy and control; (b) user interface, such as touch-sensitivity which can be used to control colour, tool size, etc.

If your alternative is a mouse, then I can't see how you can do without a tablet. If you have other options - such as a touch screen - then YMMV.

OP
S

SPOW05

Thanks for the advice. I am seriously considering purchasing one. They make a lot of sense, they are just so expensive. If they truly help with accuracy, I feel it would be a great purchase!

OP
S

sandals1621

I've had a wacom tablet for awhile, it's alright, But I actually use a touchscreen for serious work.
Think they're too expensive??? click HERE
They're add-ons so you can use your existing monitor... they work really well

OP
S

SPOW05

The site looks pretty bootleg... but I'll look into them as well. Thanks!

OP
S

sandals1621

SPOW05 said:
The site looks pretty bootleg... but I'll look into them as well. Thanks!

hahaha I thought the same when I first saw it, they are in a small little complex as well. But the products are made well and have stood up well for me.

OP
S

SPOW05

Rule of thumb, never judge a book by it's cover.. or website. This is an interesting alternative, so thanks again!

OP
F

ForeverG5

The Wacom Graphire4 4x5" tablet is a pretty nice price for what you get. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
ForeverG5 said:
The Wacom Graphire4 4x5" tablet is a pretty nice price for what you get. :)

i will be buying this one once i get my next paycheck
-chris

OP
L

lil

OP
S

SPOW05

Now, is a 4 x 5 adequate? To me, it looks like it would be frustrating to work on. Is that enough space to work on?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.