PowerBook Hard Drive: 5400 or 7200 ?

S

smdewart

I plan on ordering a new PowerBook within the next couple of weeks. I'm both a college student and graphic/web designer, so I want a fast machine with good battery life. I can't decide between the standard configuration with an 80 gig HD at 5400 rpm, or spending the couple extra bucks for the 100 gig at 7200 rpm. I've heard conflicting reports on the benefits, battery life, heat, noise, etc. of the latter. Can you guys help? Thanks!! -Steve

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
I haven't heard any reports on it yet, but I went with the 120 gig at 5400 because I would rather have the extra space then the extra speed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.1
If you’re a graphic/web designer then do you not need a lot of memory for bigger files? If so then I reckon that you’re going to want to go with the 100Gb at 7200rpm. You’ll be using a lot of HDD so your going to need to more speed to accesses all of that memory. I was in the same problem and I got recommended to go with the 7200rpm. It really doesn’t hammer the battery life that much. Maybe like half an hour or something. If I were you I’d go for the 7200rpm. It doesn't cost that much more and you’ll be glad in the long run.

OP
L

lil

Personally I haven't found the 7200rpm to be substantially faster than the 5400rpm mechanisms, the biggest impact is felt from 4200rpm to 5400 or 7200rpm.

Either drive will be great.

Personally I'[d go for the 5400rpm mechanism as it gives more space, is still fast and doesn't hit the battery life as hard. Also the mechanisms tend to be quieter and give less vibration.

Vicky

OP
M

meatychi

I am after a replacement 120Gb HD for my 15" but I am not sure what is compatible. Can anyone shed some light?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I would spend the extra cash on more RAM and an external HD.
Just order the standard config from Apple and get the extra RAM and esternal HD from a third party

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
lil said:
Personally I haven't found the 7200rpm to be substantially faster than the 5400rpm mechanisms, the biggest impact is felt from 4200rpm to 5400 or 7200rpm.

Either drive will be great.

Personally I'[d go for the 5400rpm mechanism as it gives more space, is still fast and doesn't hit the battery life as hard. Also the mechanisms tend to be quieter and give less vibration.

Vicky
Id second that post as well go for the 120Gb driveß

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.