Imac 2011 upgrade (SSD, memory ?)

LBM

Reaction score
Hi there, I have a IMAC 27" 2011 (2.7 Core I5, 4GB 1333 DDR3) and have been using Imovie a lot lately, keeping other software open (Safari, Mail). In this situation there are times when the computer stops for a while or gets slow for some time. I would like to know if by installing a SSD would eliminate the problema and, if positive, what would be the drive specification and how to install it (any tutorial ?). One other point, would additional memory would also help in this case ? If positive, what would be the specification ?

Thanks a lot in advance,
LBM

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Before you go down the SSD route, you should upgrade the memory to more than 4GB. You can go to a maximum of 32GB, and since you have 4GB (2x2GB) right now, you have 2 slots available, so I'd recommend the 2x8GB for 16GB, so you'll have 20GB total and see how well you fare..

With more available memory, you will need to go to your slow HD less for data since it'll be available in memory..OWC has 16GB available for $109.99..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Do as RazorEdge suggests and beef up the memory. Our model iMacs are designed not to be cracked by non Apple technicians. The hard drive has a proprietary heat sensing system built in that is not to be messed with. You do not give your location, however OWC has a service for installing SSD. You send the iMac in an d they send it back with the SSD. The only thing I have found slow was the boot process coming from a Mac Pro with SSD. o get around this purchased an iBox uninterrupted power supply, and just put the iMac to sleep.

http://www.macworld.com/article/1159956/imacharddriveupgrade.html

OP
L

LBM

Reaction score
Hi there, thanks for your answers. One thing I have noticed, however, is that, according to the machine manual (the booklet that comes with the computer), tha maximum memory suported would be 16 GB. Is that correct ?

Thanks again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.