tracking device

Reaction score
I'm still two months away from college, but I've heard horror stories about laptops and other expensive electronics being stolen in dorms. Is there a way to put a tracking device in my laptop so I would have peace of mind leaving my room for a few minutes with my notebook out in the open?

Reaction score
its called a kensington lock,

takes about 5 secs to put it into the unit, and it isnt going anywhere

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
its called a kensington lock,

takes about 5 secs to put it into the unit, and it isnt going anywhere

Hey, that would really be useful to me!! When I travel to my mom's office building, there is a LOT of traffic by the vacant office I use, and I'm mostly either walking around with other people or in the lounge. I'm usually going back to the office and seeing if it's still there :p

I always have the mentality that someone is going to take off with it, and when I'm out helping people around the building, it bothers me like crazy. I always thought where I would find a lock for the security port on the side of my laptop ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
they come off even quicker with bolt cutters, but the point it to simply prevent 'snatch and grab' theft. if someone really wants to steal something, they will.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 MacBook Pro 15.4" 2.4GHz 4GB, 19in Viewsonic LCD, Mac Alum keyboard, Razer Diamondback 3G
You can also get a combo kensington...I'm doing that and getting on of the software security things also.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook white, 2.0 Intel Core 2 Duo Pro, 2 GB RAM, 13" screen
http://www.orbicule.com/undercover/

Google is your friend! :)

There is another really popular one that isn't just for Macs, can't remember the name of it though, can anyone refresh my memory?

That looks good. I love the isight taking pics!!! I saw that in the news a little while ago, a lady's laptop. I was wondering if it was a Mac.

So who thinks the Kensington cable and a software (Obicule/Lojack) would be good? Is the kensingon not even worth it? I would love to be able to go the bathroom without packing everything up at the ol' coffeeshop, etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Lock your dorm room door every time you leave. Novel I know but it works.

There was a kid down the hall that had his PowerBook stolen when I was in college. There was a kid across the hall from my cuz that had his iPhone stolen. Although a pain, I always kept my dorm room door locked and I never had anything stolen.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.