• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

iOS 5 may offer over-the-air software updates

Reaction score
iOS 5 may offer over-the-air software updates

ios-april-event.jpg
One major complaint about iOS thus far has been the inability to apply software updates over the air. If you want to move from iOS 4.3.2 to 4.3.3, you have to download the appropriate update through iTunes, or via direct download, assuming you can find the links, plug your iOS device into your Mac or PC, and apply the software update using iTunes.

It's a bit of a backward process in an era when iPhones and iPads are looking more like portable computers in their own right with each new iteration. But according to 9to5Mac's sources, after iOS 5 this will be a thing of the past. While iOS 5 itself won't be available over the air, following "point" upgrades (i.e., iOS 5.1) will. This means that like competing devices using Android or webOS, once you receive a notification on your device of a new OS update being available, you could download and install that update from the device itself rather than using iTunes as a go-between.

If true, this will be welcome news for iPad users particularly. Wireless carriers may not be so thrilled, however. iOS updates are usually well north of 500 MB, and if a few hundred thousand iPhone owners in markets like New York City or San Francisco all start downloading a big update at once, that's going to cripple the network very quickly. That may be why Verizon is thus far the only carrier that's been "confirmed" (by those always-reliable "sources") to be discussing over the air updates with Apple. Alternatively, Apple might be working out a way to reduce the size of iOS "point" updates by offering smaller "delta" updaters like it does with Mac OS X.

iOS 5 may offer over-the-air software updates originally appeared on TUAW on Thu, 05 May 2011 01:00:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

SourceÂ*|Â*PermalinkÂ*|Â*Email thisÂ*|Â*Comments

Read more

Reaction score
This would be a major boon for Apple, I think. I've never been a fan of iOS devices being "tethered" to computers, and the inability to simply turn on an iPad and start using it without iTunes and syncing and registering and etc is a major reason why I haven't yet got an iPad for my mother (who lives too far away for me to just take care of the technical stuff).

Progress is good.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.