WD Hard Drive won't reformat/not recognized

Reaction score
I've been having problems with my WD Passport for about a while now. It was formatted FAT32 so I could useit between my mac and PC. It worked fine for almost a year, but then one day when I connected it to my PC it said it was not formatted and need to be reformatted. When I connected it back into my mac it wouldn't recognized it either.

After trying everything I could think of I finally gave up and just reformatted it to FAT32 again. It worked fine until I unplugged it (so only about 30mins). The next day when I reconnected it it wouldn't recognize again. It still shows up in Disk Utility though. It also thinks it's not formatted when I plug it into my PC.

I though maybe something when wrong when reformatting and talked to a few of my friends who know more about this than me. They suggested to just give up on FAT32 since apparently this is a common problem with HDs using that format. They told me to switch to MAC OSX - Journaled. Not sure it this was a good idea or not, but I decided it was better than nothing.

So this time when I went into Disk Utility to format the HD it came up with an error message about a second after it started formating saying "Operation has timed out." I've tried both Journaled and FAT, but neither works. I really don't know what I'm doing here. Never been that tech savvy. I'm worried I've really messed up something. I've already lost all the files so that doesn't matter now. I just want get this thing working again. If anyone has and suggestions on how to fix this problem or even a different way of fixing it I'd really appreciate it. I don't care at this point if it's read/write on PC. I just want it to work again.

Thanks,
Hannah

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You've messed nothing up with what you have stated there.

Sounds like it's time to call WD and take them up on their warranty and get a replacement for a dead drive. "Assuming" you're still in the warranty period.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.