Fast DL Speeds But Really Slow Web browsing.

Reaction score
I have been having a problem with viewing web pages. I have a Mac book. and When I download from Xtorrent a "P2P Program" and Files from other websites. I get really fast Download speeds like 300k. I have the the Airport Extreme Router The dome shape one not the new square one. and I have checked my router software to make sure that it is all up to date. and when I share files with my friends Macbook Pro We get pretty fast speeds around 2Mbs.
The Macbook Pro is also getting slow browsing speeds. and it is with all other programs that use the internet closed. Some of the sites just don't load and we have to click refresh a couple of times. and then they will pop up quickly.

Any suggestions would be awesome.

Reaction score
It sounds like it is a rather grave problem...maybe someone who is an network expert here can give you some valuable advice...till then how about trying this one out? maybe it helps...however I doubt it....

http://www.scifience.net/safarispeed/

kuchiki

ps: There is a similar addon for firefox also...not sure how it was named though...I think it was fasterfox or something...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" white 2.16Ghz, 2Gb ram, 120gb hd
when you are surfing the web, are you also downloading at the same time?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
Could be DNS related. Download a large file over http, like Google Earth, and see what happens. Web pages are made up of lots of little files - each being a new request through the router/firewall/etc.

OP
L
Reaction score
Would Deleting The cookies, Cache, or History Speed up the web browsing?

Reaction score
MainMenu would be a really handy app to delete all the cache and cookies of your browsers especially if you use different browsers.

Oh yeah, it's freeware btw;)

kuchiki

OP
L
Reaction score
I download mainmenu. and I cleared the Browser Cache and the history is anything else I do?
What about trying to tweak my airport Extreme router would that make a difference?
It is like when I go to this site. The top half of it pop instantly and then nothing for 8 seconds and then the rest of it just loads instantly. It does about 60% of the time. and it is same for my roommate who is on the same network I am on. With his MBP

Reaction score
i have the same problem with my provider sometimes. fast downloads but slow browsing.

find out the ip addresses of your providers local proxy servers and try using a different one for http.

you can change the proxies that different types of trafic use in the safari preferences.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.