• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Industry impact: iPhone vs iPad

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5' iMac i3 3.2GHz, 13.3' MacBook Pro 2.26GHz, iPhone 4(16GB), 160GB iPod Classic
I am curious to hear people's opinion regarding the iPhone, and iPad. I know the products may run iPhone OS, but they have similar interfaces with it's multi-touch screens. But while these two products are categorized to be two totally different markets: one aimed at the smartphone, and the other tablet computers. My question is couple years down the road, which product do you think will have the most influence in our daily life's?

I could argue my point with the iPhone, because it really set the standard for smartphones. And there's no doubt with age, it just got better(and will continue to get better). There's so many useful apps, and while it built upon the concept of smartphones, it took it to another level.

But looking at the iPad which has a larger screen, it really has the capability to change not only the consumer electronics, but also the medical field, education and popularizing the tablet computer market. While I am not to crazy about the iPad being the future of computers, and the "notebook" killer, I would have to say I can't see it happening anytime soon, and I prefer my laptop over one any day.

I am thrilled the idea of a touch-screen computer, and I will buy an iPad when it has a camera, USB ports, and other gizmos. There's endless possibilities with the iPad, and I think it will get better with age, just like the iPhone, the iPod. But my question is, the iPhone changed the life's of many people and being an iPhone owner, I can honestly say my life is a little bit easier. But I also think the iPad can really be a game changer when it adds more features.

So what do you think will be the product that will have the biggest impact?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
My opinion is they both have the same impact on society. And I had best explain myself on this.

Sure the ipad and iphone are different products with different functions for a different target audience. But they both have one major thing in common. They change the way in which people traditionally look at computing. A keyboard and a mouse is slowly looking loke old technology. And Apple is slowly realising this and moving to the next level. And as usual all the competition have to play catch up.

As to which product will have the bigger impact based on the tech specs alone, probably the iphone. As everyone thought it would fail. Or at the best do midly ok. No noe guessed the record breaking sales it has actually achieved.

But the idea they both convey that anything is possible. And looking outside the square to something new and innovative is the biggest impact. A world without a keyboard and a mouse. It'll happen one day.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Since the iPod's debut it has proved that we are in love with easy to use mobile/portable devices with long battery life and as was said the mouse will
probably become extinct but the keyboard will be around just not a mechanical one.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.