error messages

Reaction score
Is there a way to get more information when a program crashes instead of just being told that it "unexpectedly quit" because of an "unknown error"?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
Open the application called "Console" in your Apps>Utilities folder.

OP
S
Reaction score
Unknown Errors

Are all errors on a Mac "unknown"? I've yet to see one that isn't. What does that even mean?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Hi Stevenyc, could you post a particular example? Personally, I haven't seen such a thing before. If you can let us know more about your system, and what you were trying to do when you got this error, and the error itself, we may be able to lend a hand!

OP
S
Reaction score
It's not one thing in particular. Everytime something crashes on one of my Macs, the error is <unknown>. Is this the equivalent of the General Protection Fault error?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
It's not one thing in particular. Everytime something crashes on one of my Macs, the error is <unknown>. Is this the equivalent of the General Protection Fault error?

Hard to say, this is akin to calling your mechanic and saying "I have a car and it is broken - what's wrong"? You've given us absolutely nothing to go on...

It would help to have the circumstances during which one of the problems occurs (just take one, repeatable incident for an example). What programs are running at the time and what version of Mac OS it's running? If you can't do that, even a screen shot would be helpful.

I have yet to see an error message that says "error unknown" in my own experience.

M

MacHeadCase

All errors I've had have a description of what is the problem or could be related to it. Like the others I never saw this error is <unknown> message.

OP
S
Reaction score
You've given us absolutely nothing to go on...

That's my problem. Illustrator, Photoshop, Office , Itunes, Finder, etc... on laptops and g5's running 10.3 and 10.4, the errors are always "unknown" so I have nothing to go on. What log should I be checking?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP, High Res, 2GB Ram, 2.4Ghz processor Core 2 Duo
I'd re-install OS X

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Can you give a simple example? For example:

I start Photoshop, I open a file, I invoke this action and I get this error message... that sort of an example.

If it is happening randomly, on all programs, you have a serious hardware fault. My guess would be a bad RAM chip, but it could be almost anything - chip failure on motherboard, power supply issues, corruption on your hard drive... no matter what, if it is random, it sounds like hardware.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 2ghz Dual Processor, 12" Scrolling TrackPad Powerbook
Are all errors on a Mac "unknown"? I've yet to see one that isn't. What does that even mean?

I know what you mean, I've had a few of those.

Either that or an error code that means nothing to anyone than OS X developers!

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Are you loading these applications (Illustrator, Photoshop, Office , Itunes) from the same media? Are all of these application on one DVD?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.