US iPhone in UK

Reaction score
Hi,

I've read a few conflicting reports so wanted to get everyones take. Currently using an iPhone 4 locked to Vodafone UK, and looking to move up to the 4S. Do not want to lock myself into Vodafone for another 2 years, therefore looking into buying an unlocked phone, so here is the question.

Can I buy a phone through Apple US webstore (it would be shipped to a US address, but paid with a UK credit/debit card). Once I had got it over to the UK (friend would bring it over from States), would my Vodafone SIM then work with jailbreaking?

Also what would be the situation re warranty - if any problem could I take to an Apple Store in the UK?

Thanks in advance.

C

chas_m

If you bought a factory-unlocked US iPhone directly from Apple (I don't think you will be able to do so with a UK card, however), then you could import it to the UK (pay the customs fees and don't complain -- you're saving a fortune buying it in the US) and it would work with any GSM compatible micro-SIM (remember, the iPhone 4 and 4S don't use "regular" SIMs) without jailbreaking.

The warranty should be honoured just fine in the UK as long as its not jailbroken.

Reaction score
If it is unlocked phone then you can use it with your Vodafone sim. The unlocked phone is compatible in any country.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.