fine in firefox, crazy in windows IE?

D

design2

hey guys

i have a webpage for a small cafe at http://www.ebesign.co.nz/projects/rosso
and i have made it so it looks correct in firefox mac and also safari and ie mac
however i viewed it today on a pc (IE) and the div's are crazy?! i thought firefox was a good guide to design for other browsers?

this is a problem cos most clients are viewing their sites in IE windows, what do you guys do? isnt it like over 80% of the market? so what should i do go back to PC? i love my mac..

maybe there is a way to change my CSS to work on IE and firefox?
i know my div heights are strange considering i want them the same but when i added padding-top when they were all the same height it added to the height
and made them also uneven.

please advise, thanks.
design2

OP
D

d-funct

If its meant to be a one page site it looks fine from this windows/IE machine (**** work :()

But it might be worth running it though Dreamweaver MX 2004 as I *think* its got a compatabilty checker in there somewhere that will go though your CSS and check for tags that are invalid and the such

OP
F

funky

JohnVbs said:
same here, Looks fine in IE on my comp.
I've tested it in IE/Firefox on Mac and Windows 2000 Server and it looks great in all of them. :bone:

OP
C

cerberos

Looks good on WinXP w/ Firefox!

It's just an image though - as far as I know, all browsers render images the same ;)

OP
C

ChicoWeb

Make sure it validates. If it does chances are it will work cross platform.

OP
D

design2

sorry i changed it from css to one big *** image cos of the problems.
but from now on i will check if it validates. thanks

OP
G

guapomole

design2 said:
sorry i changed it from css to one big *** image cos of the problems.
but from now on i will check if it validates. thanks

the problem comes from how the different browsers read the CSS. IE reads it in an entirely different way than the other standards compliant browsers. DIV positioning is one area where you will see the biggest difference. Trying to get a page to look the same across all browsers will be difficult with CSS.

Reaction score
I agree with guapomole.

What IE does is it takes relative numbers in CSS for relative to window, while others tkae it as relative to the object in which it is nested (this may be vice-versa, i don't remember).

Ever since I had my little Linux adevnture last year I have found text based sites with logical <link> tags which render in my firefox to being those nifty navigation buttons the best :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.