iTunes question

Reaction score
Hi,
Whenever i have a song (download or from cd), i put it on the desktop and then i play it in itunes and it automatically adds it to the itunes library. I then move the song to the music folder. I am almost positive i have duplicate copies of songs in the itunes music folder and the regular music folder, am I right? What can I do to synchronize them and is it safe to delete everything from the music folder? Also should i move the itunes library folder to be the regular music folder?

How do you guys have it all setup?

Thanks for your time :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
Assuming your goal is to keep your iTunes library intact, from inside iTunes...

Advanced > Consolidate Library

That will move everything in the iTunes library into the iTunes folder.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook (early 2006): 1.83 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, OSX Leopard and iPod 5th Gen 30GB
hmmmm not quite sure what you're getting at...

If you're doing what i think you're doing (that is ripping a song/adding a song from iTunes, then putting the song in the music folder from the finder window) You are duplicating your music library.

As to how I've got it set up, I don't need ready access to my music files, so I just let iTunes deal with it. iTunes has a folder in your music folder where it puts all your music files sorted by artist and album, if you feel uncomfortable with that particular setup, you can tell itunes to let you organise your own files and it won't make a copy in its own folder.

To do this:

In iTunes, go to the preferences.

In Advanced tab, in general settings, there are several boxes which give you a lot of control over the organisation of your music.

Picture2.png

Number 1 will allow you to choose your destination where the music is saved, the path is shown in the box labelled 4.

Check boxes 2 and 3 give more flexibility and your own control, Box 2 will tell itunes to sort it's music into artists and albums where ever the folder path is set, Allowing you to choose your own iTunes music folder, but still allowing you the power of iTunes filing without you having to worry about it. Box 3 is for the duplicates you mentioned. With this box checked, a copy of the song will be made in the library when it comes to downloaded songs. Obviously ripped CDs are different but for songs already on your mac, if this box is unchecked, the music will not be copied into the library folder.

hope this helps :)

Dave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Alm 2.4Ghz iMac 750Gb HD 4Gb Ram
You probably have the option to automatically import songs when played (or something like that) checked, so When iTunes imports a song it automatically copies it to the music folder. With that preference setting you shouldn't need to copy it there yourself (which is probably causing the duplicates).

Didn't respond as fast as those above me - :)

OP
D
Reaction score
thanks for all of the replies above..

lightsguydave.. thanks for a very detailed reply... the reason i ask is because if itunes stores the music in its own folder, i wouldnt be able to access that music with the apple remote and selecting the music section would i?

i will consolidate the library and empty the music folder for now..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.