Host File

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro-2.16Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo-3GB RAM-120GB HDD
I am very new to the Mac world buta veteran in the Windows world. In windows you have the ability to setup a host file to point host names to specific IP addresses. When an application needed to do name resolution, it would hoit the host file FIRST prior to requesting a lookup to the DNS servers. Does the Mac have the ability to use a host file? If so where do you put the file?

OP
egandolfi
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you very much. Since it was network related I only searched this forum and came up empty. Next time I'll search all forums.

OP
egandolfi
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, I can open it but I can't save it because it is flagged read-only. is there a way to change that?

OP
egandolfi
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I guess I'm too new to this. Even though my account is an administrator, I guess to change the HOSTS file you need to be logged in as ROOT because once I logged in with the root account I was able to save the HOSTS file. Sorry for nagging everyone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Yeah, it's owned by the System, so you have to either use sudo or log in as root.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.