My sleepy iBook.

Reaction score
I often use my iBook as a music player during my long bus travels. But one thing about my mac is driving me crazy. I wish to just turn it on, play music and put my iBook in the bag. But when I close it, it always goes to sleep mode. How can I force my iBook not to go to sleep mode when I close it?

Reaction score
The screen spanning doctor might help you...

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/15401

installed it on my iBook quite a while ago (probably more than a year) to use an external monitor by not having both screens synchronized. haven't used the "closed lid" feature but it's supposed to work.

OP
H
Reaction score
OK. I have this app, but it doesn't seem to help. Maybe I do sth wrong or don't do sth. Tell me more, cuz I really need this option to keep my iBook working when closed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
the reason that the iBook goes to sleep when the lid is closed is because a lot of heat is dissipated throught the keyboard. if it did not go to sleep then you screen would get messed up from all the heat while it wass running. IMO it is not a good idea to make the iBook do something that it is not supposed to do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
if i understand you correctly, this should do exactly what you want it to, i installed it on my macbook a couple weeks ago and it works great.

http://mac.softpedia.com/get/System-Utilities/InsomniaX.shtml

i have yet to have any problem with my screen having heat issues. every pc laptop can do it safely, so i don't see why it's not safe on a mac :)

Reaction score
IMO it is not a good idea to make the iBook do something that it is not supposed to do.

Hm.. I loved to "upgrade" my iBook video out to use it in a way better resolution than the one it's supposed to do. Did that for a loooong time and pretty much every day and it's still running like crazy :) So I don't think that's doing any harm to it.

Also: This is a feature that's already in the iBook, it's just deactivated. So I don't think it can be too bad for it (same goes for the operation when the lid is closed).

Reaction score
I use a software program called "Insomnia" for Mac. It disables the sleep-on-close feature that Apple keeps forgetting to get us. :)

I often use my iBook as a music player during my long bus travels. But one thing about my mac is driving me crazy. I wish to just turn it on, play music and put my iBook in the bag. But when I close it, it always goes to sleep mode. How can I force my iBook not to go to sleep mode when I close it?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.