How likely is it that Apple will release a Thunderbolt to USB 3.0 adapter?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini Server 4,1 (2.66GHz Core2Duo CPU, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD), iPhone SE 2nd gen (128GB)
I can understand why they don't see the point in incorporating USB 3.0 into Macs, as Thunderbolt is the far superior IO; but it's also being adopted much slower.

While releasing such an adapter would, granted, slow the process of development of Thunderbolt peripherals; it would also mean a lot of people who were tempted to make the switch to Mac, but had a lot of USB 3.0 devices they didn't want to have to use at 2.0 speeds, would be able to switch without the performance hit (indeed, you could run several USB 3.0 devices through a single Thunderbolt port simultaneously).

In the long-run, I think it would work-out better for Mac sales.

I only ask all this as I'm an engineering student & have to use Windows, but still would like a Mac desktop in addition to my PC laptop. My laptop has USB 3.0 on it, & it would be useful if there was / will be some high-speed way of connecting the high-speed peripherals I use with my PC to my Mac (when I finally get it).

Cheers :)

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
The newer Intel chips are supposed to support USB 3.0 so I would not be surprised if they are not incorporated in the next MacBook Pros. It would be nice to have USB 2.0/3.0, FW800 and Thunderport.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.