SMS text with ipod touch 5g?

Reaction score
i'm probably going to get the new ipod touch.

I've got a question regarding SMS text apps.

I'm going to England this spring for a little over a month. Last time i went i purchased a cheap phone and topped up minutes on it. It was probably around $40 bucks total. I still have the phone so i would just have to top it up again. I used the phone to meet up with friends and relatives by texting etc.

This time however i'm thinking i could save the $40 and just text with the iPod Touch through wifi. But i have some questions about this:

-would i be able to SMS text other peoples phones or only ppl that have the same app?

- what if i'm not at a wifi location and someone texts' me? Will it queue up for when i do get a wifi connection?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
-would i be able to SMS text other peoples phones or only ppl that have the same app?

You will only be able to text people with the same App.

- what if i'm not at a wifi location and someone texts' me? Will it queue up for when i do get a wifi connection?

Yes the will be queued up until you get to a WIFI connection.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
I would recommend TextFree for the texting app and it should work as long as you are on wifi.

C

chas_m

The exception to this is iMessage. You send a text from your iPod Touch and it will go to other iPhones as SMS-style messages (not truly SMS but no other software required).

Of course, this presumes that you'd only want to talk to people with iPhones/iOS devices, and they won't be able to text you back unless you remain in Wi-Fi. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.