External Sound Card

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (17" Unibody, 2.93GHz, 8GB DRR3, 320GB 7200, Anti-Glare Screen)
So for a while now I've been looking at external sound cards in hopes of maybe spicing up my music a little. I invested a good chunk of change in a pair of Bose Companion 3 speakers, and I'm trying to get the best sound out of them I possibly can.

All my CD's are in 320kbps .mp3 format, which I'm happy enough with. What does concern me though, is all my 128kbps AAC music from the iTunes store. I'd love a way to squeeze a bit more juice out of my iTunes purchases, and so I've been looking at this...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102009

Creative XMOD Soundblaster. Connects via USB and my speakers plug right in. It uses algorithms to fill in and output the missing bits of compressed audio files (obviously it doesn't fill in everything, but it's supposed to dramatically improve the sound).

Has anyone used this card before? I'd love to hear some feedback before sinking $70 into it. Thoughts, comments, feedback, would all be appreciated.

-CJCS

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (17" Unibody, 2.93GHz, 8GB DRR3, 320GB 7200, Anti-Glare Screen)
Update: I found it on www.creative.com for $30, so I just went ahead and ordered it. I will post my results when it arrives.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.