When my MacBook crashes and I shut it down via power button

Reaction score
So sometimes my MacBook seems to 'crash' while its sleeping (i.e. it won't activate the monitor). So I shut it down with the power button and when I try pressing the power button to start up again, it doesn't start up....I keep pressing it and eventually it restarts the computer.

I've learned to live with the inconvenience of crashing when it goes to sleep, but I'm worried about this restart issue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
So sometimes my MacBook seems to 'crash' while its sleeping (i.e. it won't activate the monitor). So I shut it down with the power button and when I try pressing the power button to start up again, it doesn't start up....I keep pressing it and eventually it restarts the computer.

I've learned to live with the inconvenience of crashing when it goes to sleep, but I'm worried about this restart issue.

I'm confused. How does it "crash"? Does it just shut down, gets stuck in sleep mode? How long has it been doing this? Also, what are your MacBook's specs?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Won't wake from sleep I'm guessing the OP means.
Hard shut downs are not good, and can easily corrupt your OS.

What version of OS X do you have?

OP
M
Reaction score
Yes, it won'r wake from sleep is exactly the problem. This is a first generation Black MacBook running Mac OS 10.4.11. I think the problem, 'won't wake from sleep mode' started 6 months ago (sometimes it wakes from sleep mode properly). While, the 'won't power up phenomenon' started happening a couple weeks ago.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
If you have any external usb devices connected when this happens this could be the cause.

Ok, first of all I would try an SMC reset.
Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

I would also reset the PRAM
Resetting your Mac's PRAM and NVRAM

If that failed to fix it I would try downloading the combo updater of OS X 10.4.11.
Mac OS X 10.4.11 Combo Update (Intel)

Next up, if that didn't do it, a clean install of your whole OS.
-Boot from the install disc holding C while booting until you see the spinning gear.
-Select language and click continue.
-Select utilities>disk utility in the menu bar (this takes a few seconds to appear).
-Select the HD at the top of the list on the left.
-Click erase tab.
-Format Mac Os Extended (Journaled).
-Name Macintosh HD.
-Click erase.
-Quit disk utility menu, and continue with installation.

If none of the above did the trick, I would be making an appointment to have it assessed by Apple.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.