OS X Jaguar installer failing on iBooks

P

Park

I have two 500 MHz G3 iBooks (version = 22.15) with 256MB of memory that need to be upgraded to OS X Jaguar.

I boot up off the Mac OS X Installation CD 1 and initialize/erase the hard disk drive (and make sure it's checked for OS 9 compatibility) via Disk Utility. I manage to install Mac OS X Installation Disk 1, but when it asks me to reboot the machine (which I'm able to do), the screen reappears with the grey dark apple logo on a light grey background. However, the machine will not budge past that point.

I've tried wiping the hard drive, running Disk Utility, zapping the PRAM, resetting the Firmware, as well as tried to reinstall the OS. Each plan of attack ends up with the same result, the screen reappears with the grey dark apple logo on a light grey background.

Might you kind people have any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Park said:
I have two 500 MHz G3 iBooks (version = 22.15) with 256MB of memory that need to be upgraded to OS X Jaguar.

I boot up off the Mac OS X Installation CD 1 and initialize/erase the hard disk drive (and make sure it's checked for OS 9 compatibility) via Disk Utility. I manage to install Mac OS X Installation Disk 1, but when it asks me to reboot the machine (which I'm able to do), the screen reappears with the grey dark apple logo on a light grey background. However, the machine will not budge past that point.

I've tried wiping the hard drive, running Disk Utility, zapping the PRAM, resetting the Firmware, as well as tried to reinstall the OS. Each plan of attack ends up with the same result, the screen reappears with the grey dark apple logo on a light grey background.

Might you kind people have any suggestions?

there are not many with more traffic but most of these guys are at work most of the day but they will get to the message. i am a novice but just have one idea on why it might not be going. when you reboot do you take out the CD1 or leave it in because i am almost positive you are supposed to remove it. i could be wrong but until some of the experts get off of work thats all the help i can give

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Park said:
Do you guys recommend any other Mac forum websites with a bit more traffic?

you could try the apple discussion page on apple.com but it is much harder to follow your topic on there board and responses can take a long time

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
Does this logo appear with a little black/grey "spinning" dealie?

because you have such a low mhz computer, and you are installing a huge new OS, your computer may not beable to install it quickly, not to mention boot for the first time, with it only half installed.

I say install it and when it comes to the grey screen with the logo, wait.
im not shur how long u waited before you gave up the last time, but Ive had to wait an hour after a serious crash... but it did eventaully boot up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.