• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Solid State Hard Drives

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
How long before apple goes solid state hard drives?
THEY EXIST NOW!!!

From Liberman Inc. the PuRAM drive:

PuRam™ - The future, today.
Introducing the first desktop computer configurable WITHOUT a system hard drive. The Operating system and system files reside on a PuRam™ solid state flash disk with near zero latency and seek times, and burst transfer rates up to 8.5GB/s I/O, capable of over 150,000 I/O requests per second, all with an average of 0.0% CPU utilization. This translates into an effective desktop business productivity of up to 100 times faster than the fastest available hard disk design at any price or configuration. These are non-volatile units just like a regular hard drive with a permanent storage cycle. There are no more virtual memory or swap file delays (since now they are as fast as RAM) and there are no more System Disk Defrags (memory is random so it does not need defragging). Windows boots-up in seconds, load your games and apps in seconds, and start any program virtually instantly. Also moving, copying, or working on large files has literally no slow-down affect in the blistering fast computing speed. Furthermore, PuRam™ Drives are extremely resistant to shock, vibration and temperature variations, while providing unprecedented performance and superior durability. Allied to our CacheFlow™ technology, the PuRam™ Drives give your audio, video, CAD, graphic, gaming, industrial or scientific applications the most, compelling and unmatched data through output speeds. Absolutely like no other.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Apple could use PuRam™ and place OS X there. Then if they were to use license keys through out the OS you would not know it, because of the speed.

B

badmojo

I hate to burst your bubble on Liberman/PuRam but this whole company is a sham. They've been in and out of bankruptcy and many of the well-respected PC magazines have basically stated that Liberman is a phantom company. Google them and see what articles emerge.

edit: Here's a site that goes deep into the sham that is "Go-L":

http://plex.us/outbursts/liebermann.html

OP
PowerBookG4
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mynameis said:
Can you actually buy these PuRam drives? How much?

I have looked I am unable to find the ability to buy one.. When I find It I will deffinatly let you know

Badmojo said:
I hate to burst your bubble on Liberman/PuRam but this whole company is a sham. They've been in and out of bankruptcy and many of the well-respected PC magazines have basically stated that Liberman is a phantom company. Google them and see what articles emerge.

I wil do a google search on them now.. They seam to be a legit company and out of bankrupcy now, if this is the case where this technology is real then I am very excited to see where this company goes. I however will not invest my own money in this company since you said that they are a sham but lets see where it goes, maybe apple will see that these people are developing such great technology (if they really are) and try to creat simular technology themselves or create some kind of partnership.

B

badmojo

Rman's link to the CNET story states that Samsung just developed a flash-based 16 Gb hard drive capabable of 57/32 mb/s transfer rates, targeting notebooks.

Go-L's site claims the following:
"The Operating system and system files reside on a PuRam™ solid state flash disk with near zero latency and seek times, and burst transfer rates up to 8.5GB/s I/O, capable of over 150,000 I/O requests per second, all with an average of 0.0% CPU utilization. This translates into an effective desktop business productivity of up to 100 times faster than the fastest available hard disk design at any price or configuration.."

C'mon. It's beyond comprehension that a "nobody" like Lieberman developed a technology that's years ahead of what someone like Samsung could develop.

OP
PowerBookG4
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Those would be large enough to hold the OS and various applications.

Reaction score
They have been around for awhile, but the models out weren't really meant for the desktop market. The ones I looked at awhile back were really expensive and not that fast. They were really meant for military and other special applications.

I bet Voodoo or Alienware will be the first with solid state drives in their computers, since they don't seem to mind selling laptops that cost more than some new cars.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.