7.1 speakers on an iMac

Reaction score
I've had this question for ages. I've been a windows user most of my life (jeers to me, I know), but I thought it's time to clean up my act and buy myself an iMac.

My question is: is it possible for me to hook up 7.1 speakers to an iMac? That's about the only thing worth saving from my old PC. I don't want to go for anything more expensive than an iMac because I want to get a feel for it first. Plus, I won't use it for anything more than standard web design, music, chatting, and watching movies probably.

Is there like an adapter I can buy for it or maybe an external sound card or something? No big deal if it can't be done yet. They weren't the most expensive speakers anyway, but it would be a nice touch.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I could swear this topic was started a few weeks back with almost the same exact wording "That's about the only thing worth saving from my old PC."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
The Griffin Firewave might be what you are looking for. The iMac will support surround sound, but it needs to be optical.

OP
H
Reaction score
Thanks! That's exactly what I was looking for. As for the topic being started previously, I'm sorry. I did a quick search, but didn't find anything. And you know it's true, lol. That's about the only thing I kind of like about my computer. I say "kind of" because one of the plugs seems to be damaged and I have to play around with it's position so that my front left speaker works...but that's a whole other topic.

Anyway, thanks again!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.